Pakistan army chief discusses CPEC security during Beijing visit – ISPR

Pakistan's Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa calls on Chinese Defence Minister, General Wei Fenghe, during his two-day visit to China on September 19, 2022. (ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 19 September 2022
Follow

Pakistan army chief discusses CPEC security during Beijing visit – ISPR

  • Chinese nationals working on energy and infrastructure projects in Pakistan have been targeted by militants in the past
  • The Chinese minister expressed grief over flood devastation in Pakistan, offered technical support for flood relief activities

ISLAMABAD: China’s defense minister has expressed his gratitude during a meeting with Pakistan’s army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa for taking necessary steps to provide a safe environment for energy and infrastructure projects jointly carried out by the two countries, said the military’s media wing, ISPR, on Monday.

The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) was launched in 2013 to strengthen the economy of the South Asian country and increase regional connectivity to ensure greater prosperity.

Originally valued at $47 billion, CPEC is now worth over $60 billion and includes construction projects focusing on ports, roads, bridges, special economic zones and hydroelectricity dams.

Thousands of Chinese nationals have also been working on these projects in Pakistan, though many of them were targeted by militant factions in different parts of the country which made the authorities in Beijing take up the issue with Pakistani officials.

China’s defense minister General Wei Fenghe met the army chief who is on a two-day visit to Beijing, saying his country valued its relations with Pakistan and its army and looked forward to expanding this cooperation.

According to the ISPR, the defense minister said the development of CPEC “aimed at bringing more benefits & prosperity to the people of both countries” while calling the “Pak-China military cooperation as an important pillar of bilateral relations.”

“The Defense Minister thanked [the chief of army staff] for special measures taken for provision of safe and secure environment to CPEC projects in Pakistan and efforts toward regional stability,” the statement added. “He expressed satisfaction over progress on CPEC and hoped for timely completion of the project.”

Earlier this year, a group of Chinese academics were killed in a suicide blast that took place at the entrance of Confucius Institute at the University of Karachi.

The incident led to the suspension of academic activities and all Chinese teachers decided to return to their country.

Speaking to the army chief, the Chinese defense minister also conveyed his grief over the devastation caused by recent floods in Pakistan due to climate change and offered condolences to the families of victims.

He said China was willing to provide technical assistance for flood relief efforts in Pakistan while praising the army’s rescue and relief efforts in flood-affected areas.

The army chief thanked the defense minister for his sentiments and continued Chinese support to his country.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.