Ex-PM Khan’s attempts to politicize army chief appointment ‘very unpatriotic’ — planning minister

Pakistan’s planning minister, Ahsan Iqbal, speaks to Arab News Pakistan in Islamabad, Pakistan, on September 15, 2022. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 16 September 2022
Follow

Ex-PM Khan’s attempts to politicize army chief appointment ‘very unpatriotic’ — planning minister

  • In exclusive interview with Arab News, Ahsan Iqbal accuses ex-PM Khan of trying to create rifts within army
  • Minister says Pakistan not considering renegotiating loan terms with the IMF despite billions in flood losses

Islamabad: Pakistani planning minister Ahsan Iqbal has said the appointment of a new chief of army staff (COAS) would be made on time and as per merit and law, describing former prime minister Imran Khan’s alleged attempts to politicize the issue and create rifts within the army as “sad and very unpatriotic.”

Pakistan’s current army chief, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, will complete his tenure on November 28. Bajwa became the army chief in November 2016 and was given a three-year extension in 2019, when Khan was prime minister.

Khan, who was ousted from power in a no-trust vote in April, alleged during a speech at a rally this month that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and his allies were delaying elections polls in the country as they hoped to appoint an army chief of their own choice who would not question them over corruption.

The military shot back at the former PM, saying it was “aghast” at the statement, which it saw as an attempt “to discredit and undermine the senior leadership.”

“[For army chief appointment], there is a mechanism in the Constitution. When the time will come, it will be made in routine, according to the law and on merit,” Iqbal told Arab News in an exclusive interview on Thursday.

“Everyone should talk about the mechanism, instead of trying to create division in the army, that there are patriotic generals and there are unpatriotic generals, I think that’s a shame.”




Pakistan’s planning minister, Ahsan Iqbal, speaks to Arab News Pakistan in Islamabad, Pakistan, on September 15, 2022. (AN Photo)

At his speech, Khan had alleged Sharif and his allies “want their man [as army chief] because they have stolen away money … They fear that if a strong, patriotic army chief is appointed, he will question them.”

“Pakistan’s military is a very important institution in Pakistan’s security and this, we have always maintained, should remain above politics,” Iqbal said. “Unfortunately, Imran Khan has tried to politicize even the army and now [he is] politicizing the appointment of the army chief. This is very sad and very unpatriotic.” 

Speaking about damages caused by floods this monsoon season, Iqbal, who also heads the National Flood Response Coordination Center (NFRCC), said initial estimates for damages stood at more than $30 billion, but a final figure would be clear after a completion assessment, which was being carried out in collaboration with the United Nations (UN), the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank (ADB).

Unprecedented floods have killed more than 1,500 people and submerged a third of Pakistan since mid-June, affecting 35 million people across the South Asian country.

“Two to three years of effort would be required to rebuild infrastructure and rebuild people’s livelihoods,” the minister said, adding the UN would support a donor conference to help Pakistan mobilize international funding for rehabilitation and rebuilding.

Asked about the world’s response to a UN flash appeal for $160 million issued last month, he said the appeal had been subscribed to by the international community and there was assistance coming from friendly countries for rescue and relief operations.

“The funds are used very transparently through NDMA [National Disaster Management Authority] and we have created a dashboard on which we are posting on a daily basis how much relief is being collected and where it is being distributed,” Iqbal said. 

He said the prime minister had said a leading international firm should carry out an audit of all the funds.

“The ministry of finance is carrying out the necessary processes because when you have to engage a firm you have to fulfill the coded formalities, but it will be one of the big four [PwC, Deloitte, EY and KPMG] who are internationally acclaimed and recognized and respected for their authenticity.”

Asked whether Pakistan would request the International Monetary Fund (IMF), in light of the floods, to reconsider its conditions for a loan program signed in 2019, the minister said the government was not considering it. “We do not right now intend to really give any message to the international community that Pakistan is facing a serious financial viability crisis,” he said. 

Iqbal also spoke about disbanding the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) Authority, which was created by the Khan government to oversee projects that are part of a multi-billion dollar scheme under which Beijing has pledged over $60 billion for infrastructure projects in Pakistan, much of it in the form of loans.

Iqbal said the authority was a “redundant body” that created duplication and conflict within government departments and ministries. 

“So, by reversing CPEC Authority, we are streamlining the implementation and execution of projects and we are going back to the old model of CPEC,” Iqbal said, “that was Ministry of Planning and Development leading the program through a very efficient, small CPEC secretariat and empowering the line ministries to do their job.”


Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

Updated 29 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.