Ethiopia, Eritrea forces launch Tigray offensive, rebels say

The conflict in Ethiopia has roiled the region and destabilized the country. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 September 2022
Follow

Ethiopia, Eritrea forces launch Tigray offensive, rebels say

ADDIS ABABA: Ethiopian and Eritrean forces launched a “massive” joint offensive against the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) in the northern region of Tigray on Thursday, the rebels said.

“The enemy, having already relocated a massive military force to Eritrea, has now begun a joint campaign with the foreign invading force of Eritrea to brutalize and exterminate the people of Tigray,” the rebels’ military command said in a statement.

AFP was not able to independently verify the claims. Access to northern Ethiopia is severely restricted and Tigray has been under a communications blackout for over a year.

TPLF spokesman Kindeya Gebrehiwot told AFP the attack was coming “from Eritrea.”

Another TPLF spokesman, Getachew Reda, described it as a four-pronged offensive.

He said on Twitter that the rebels were “defending their positions” and reported “heavy shelling” from some locations.

Addis Ababa has not responded to requests for comment about the reported offensive.

Fighting between government forces and the rebels had resumed last week after a five-month lull, with clashes on the ground and air raids over Tigray dashing hopes of peacefully resolving the nearly two-year war.

Combat had been concentrated around the southeastern border of Tigray, with the rebels pushing into the neighboring Amhara and Afar regions, sending residents fleeing.

The government on Wednesday accused the TPLF of launching a wider “invasion” into parts of western Tigray, and other areas west of the initial clashes.

The rebels in turn alleged that the government and its neighbor Eritrea — which backed federal forces during the war’s early phase — were responsible for opening a new front.

On Thursday, the government said TPLF attacks “had further continued to intensify.”

“Innocent civilians are being killed; many are being displaced and property is being destroyed,” the Government Communication Service said in a statement.

Fighting has spread since combat erupted on Aug. 24, while the capital of the war-torn Tigray region has been hit twice by air strikes.

The first air raid on Mekele killed at least four people, including children, in a strike the UN children’s agency UNICEF said “hit a kindergarten.”


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.