US Navy foils Iranian attempt to capture unmanned vessel in Arabian Gulf

The US Navy prevents an IRGC Navy support ship from capturing an unmanned surface vessel operated by the US 5th Fleet in the Arabian Gulf. (US 5th Fleet)
Short Url
Updated 30 August 2022
Follow

US Navy foils Iranian attempt to capture unmanned vessel in Arabian Gulf

  • IRGCN support ship towed a Saildrone Explorer unmanned surface vessel in an attempt to detain it
  • Incident demonstrates Iran’s continued destabilizing and illegalactivity in the Middle East: CENTCOM commander

LONDON: The US Navy has prevented an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy support ship from capturing an unmanned surface vessel operated by the US 5th Fleet in the Arabian Gulf.

The US 5th Fleet observed IRGCN support ship Shahid Baziar towing a Saildrone Explorer unmanned surface vessel in an attempt to detain it at 11 p.m. local time on Monday.

US Navy patrol coastal ship USS Thunderbolt (PC 12) was operating nearby and responded to the attempted attack. The US 5th Fleet also launched an MH-60S Sea Hawk from Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 26 which is based in Bahrain.

The actions taken by US naval forces resulted in the IRGCN vessel disconnecting the towing line to the unmanned vessel and departing the area around four hours later, the US 5th Fleet said.

“IRGCN’s actions were flagrant, unwarranted and inconsistent with the behavior of a professional maritime force,” said the commander of US Naval Forces Central Command, US 5th Fleet, and Combined Maritime Forces Vice Adm. Brad Cooper.

Cooper added that “US naval forces remain vigilant and will continue to fly, sail and operate anywhere international law allows while promoting rules-based international order throughout the region.”

The Saildrone Explorer unmanned surface vessel that the IRGCN attempted to confiscate is US property and equipped with sensors, radars, and cameras for navigation and data collection.

This technology is available commercially and does not store sensitive or classified information, the US 5th Fleet said.

US Central Command commander Gen. Michael E. Kurilla said “the professionalism and competence of the crew of the USS Thunderbolt prevented Iran from this illegal action.”

“This incident once again demonstrates Iran’s continued destabilizing, illegal, and unprofessional activity in the Middle East,” he added.


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.