Saudi Arabia, UN, China, US extend assistance as Pakistan reels from rain floods

Villagers search for their belongings after their huts were destroyed in flood waters in Jaffarabad district of Balochistan province on August 22, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 25 September 2022
Follow

Saudi Arabia, UN, China, US extend assistance as Pakistan reels from rain floods

  • Pakistan struggling to cope with aftermath of torrential rains that have triggered massive floods, killing over 900 people
  • Provinces worst-hit by rains are Balochistan province and Sindh, where 230 and 293 people have died respectively

ISLAMABAD: The international community has stepped up flood relief assistance to Pakistan as it struggles to cope with the aftermath of torrential rains that have triggered massive floods, killing more than 900 people, according to government data.

July’s national rainfall was almost 200 percent above average, Sardar Sarfaraz, a senior official at the metrological office told media on Wednesday, making it the wettest July since 1961. According to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), 326 children and 191 women are among the 903 people killed since the onset of the monsoon season in mid-June.

Much of the devastation has taken place in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province and Sindh, where 230 and 293 people have died respectively.

Climate minister Sherry Rehman on Wednesday urged the international partner to mobilize assistance to help Pakistan cope with rains and flash floods.

The UN team in Pakistan said it was boosting support to Pakistani authorities in the most flood-affected provinces of Balochistan and Sindh.

“To date, the UN team has mobilized $7 million to respond to the floods and has provided 1,100 metric tons of food rations, therapeutic feed and nutritional supplements,” a spokeswoman for the UN said at a briefing on Wednesday. “It also provided medicine, water purification tablets, tents, mosquito nets, blankets, soaps, hygiene and dignity kits, new-born baby kits, tarpaulins and other goods.”

Following a rapid assessment, a response plan was being finalized, the spokeswoman said, to coordinate the joint response and call for further resources, including from the Central Emergency Response Fund.

Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia’s KSRelief sent 100 emergency relief trucks, carrying 950 tons of food items to 17 flood-ravaged districts of Pakistan. The consignment, the third from the aid agency since the monsoons began, included 10,000 food packages.

“More than 70,000 people will benefit from this emergency relief,” Saudi Ambassador Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki said at a ceremony in Islamabad, early this before the goods were dispatched.

China has also said it will dispatch emergency humanitarian supplies.

“China has noted the severe floods raging across Pakistan and the heavy casualties and loss of property ensued. We express sincere condolences to the victims, and our hearts go out to the bereaved families, the injured and those in the stricken areas,” a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said.

The European Union has granted €350,000 (Rs76 million) to provide crucial humanitarian assistance to families affected by severe flooding, it said on Monday, saying it would address the urgent needs of those most affected in some of the hardest-hit districts of Jhal Magsi and Lasbella in Balochistan.

“The devastating floods have left a trail of destruction in Pakistan, causing many to suffer the loss of their homes, livelihoods, and belongings,” said Taheeni Thammannagoda, who oversees the EU’s humanitarian programs in Pakistan. “The EU funding will help get vital assistance to the most vulnerable people to support them during this hard time.”

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken also last week announced the US was providing $100,000 to Pakistan.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.