KSRelief dispatches third relief convoy to flood-ravaged districts as Pakistan rain deaths cross 770

Saudi KSRelief dispatches third emergency relief convoy of 100 trucks for Pakistani flood victims in Islamabad, Pakistan, on August 22, 2022. (AN photo)
Short Url
Updated 25 September 2022
Follow

KSRelief dispatches third relief convoy to flood-ravaged districts as Pakistan rain deaths cross 770

  • Saudi envoy to Pakistan says more than 70,000 people would benefit from this emergency relief
  • At least 777 people have died in Pakistan since the beginning of the monsoon season in mid-June

ISLAMABAD/QUETTA: The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) on Monday dispatched a third convoy of essential food items to 17 flood-hit areas across Pakistan, the Saudi envoy to Pakistan has said, as the death toll from monsoon rains crossed 770 in the South Asian country.

At least 777 people have lost their lives in Pakistan since the beginning of the monsoon season in mid-June, according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). The impoverished Balochistan province has been the worst hit with 255 dead, with the provincial government announcing on Sunday that all government and private schools would remain closed for five days after nine more people were killed by heavy rains in different districts.

A joint survey by the provincial administration and the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) last week showed that 574 government schools, in which 79,000 children are enrolled, had been damaged due to ongoing rains and floods in 32 districts.

“The provincial health department has imposed a health emergency in Balochistan since there is imminent threat of diarrhoea, cholera and malaria outbreaks in flood-hit districts,” Saleh Muhammad Nasir, the secretary health in the province, told Arab News.

“We have established a control room in the director general’s office to provide timely health facilities to the residents of flood affected areas,” he added.

Quetta, the provincial capital of Balochistan, was also lashed by heavy rain on Sunday, causing major damage to various neighborhoods of the city and resulting in prolonged power outages.

“Several houses in Quetta were partially damaged on Sunday, but the entire administration was on the ground to deal with the situation and prevent untoward incidents,” the commissioner, Sohail-ur-Rehman Baloch, told Arab News.

Pakistan’s foreign minister, Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, also canceled his tour of four European countries in view of countrywide damages from floods, the Pakistani foreign office said on Sunday.




Saudi KSRelief dispatches third emergency relief convoy of 100 trucks for Pakistani flood victims in Islamabad, Pakistan, on August 22, 2022. (AN photo)

Against this background, KSRelief sent 100 emergency relief trucks carrying 950 tons of food items to 17 flood-ravaged districts in Pakistan, to be distributed by NDMA. The consignment includes 10,000 food packages.

"More than 70,000 people would benefit from this emergency relief,” Saudi ambassador Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki told Arab News at a ceremony in Islamabad before the goods were dispatched.




A group photo of Saudi ambassador to Pakistan Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki (5th right) and chairman NDMA Lieutenant General Akhtar Nawaz (4th right) with KSRelief and NDMA officials in Islamabad, Pakistan, on August 22, 2022. (AN photo)

Dr. Khalid Al-Othmani, director KSRelief Pakistan, said this was the third and the largest consignment by the aid agency for the flood victims.

“Each 95 kg food package consisted of all necessary essential food items, including 80kg of flour, cooking oil of 5 liters, 5kg of sugar, and 5kg of daal chana )lentils), which is sufficient for a family for the whole month,” he told Arab News.

The Saudi international aid agency has implemented 2,069 projects globally worth almost $6 billion in 86 countries. Pakistan is one of the top five beneficiaries of the organization, with 149 projects worth $146.9 million executed since 2005.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.