Kuwaiti driving Bugatti in London attacked in botched robbery

A Kuwaiti man in his Bugatti Chiron near Hyde Park in Mayfair was assaulted by a thief dressed as a food-delivery driver. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 22 August 2022
Follow

Kuwaiti driving Bugatti in London attacked in botched robbery

  • Abdullah Al-Basman had car window smashed by thieves on mopeds posing as delivery drivers
  • Attack occurred in same area where another man had his watch stolen on same day

LONDON: A Kuwaiti man has been attacked while driving in central London by a thief on a moped in one of the city’s most prestigious districts.

Abdullah F. Al-Basman was in his Bugatti Chiron near Hyde Park in Mayfair on Sunday when he was assaulted by a man dressed as a food-delivery driver, who smashed the window of his £3 million ($3.54 million) car with a hammer.

Footage captured by passers-by showed the robber — helmeted, on a moped and wearing a Deliveroo outfit, hitting the car several times before Al-Basman, who was staying at the Berkeley Hotel, was able to drive away.

The man then fled the scene with another man also wearing a Deliveroo uniform and riding a moped.

It is thought that they were trying to steal Al-Basman’s Rolex watch, worth approximately £110,000, and other valuables.

 

 

A witness told the Daily Mail: “The moped thieves were at the hotel this morning and staff told them to get off the pavement. When Abdullah left in the Bugatti they started following him all the way to Hyde Park Corner. One beeped their horn which I assume was the signal to start attacking.

“I assume they were waiting for a junction they knew would have a long red light so they had time to attack them.”

Footage showed Al-Basman being helped out of his damaged vehicle on the forecourt of the hotel.

London’s Metropolitan Police said the attack could be connected to a second robbery in the area the same day, in which a man was assaulted and had his watch stolen.

In a statement, the Met said: “Police are investigating a report of a robbery that is alleged to have occurred in Curzon Street, Mayfair, at approximately 4:50 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 21.

“A man aged in his 40s reported being assaulted by two men who stole his watch. Officers attended along with the London Ambulance Service and the man was treated for injuries at the scene. He did not require hospital treatment.

“We are also aware of video appearing to show an attempted robbery nearby on Park Lane at around the same time of the incident. The incidents are believed to be linked, however enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances.

“Anyone with further information is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 5109/21Aug. To remain anonymous, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. No arrests have been made.”


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.