Pakistani finance minister defends fuel price hike after opposition from major political leaders

Pakistan's Finance Minister Miftah Ismail (left) addresses a press conference in Islamabad, Pakistan, August 16, 2022. (Ministry of Finance)
Short Url
Updated 16 August 2022
Follow

Pakistani finance minister defends fuel price hike after opposition from major political leaders

  • Says IMF board meeting expected on August 29 after which stalled $6 billion loan program to resume
  • Pakistan has raised fuel price hikes several times since May to meet IMF conditions to resume facility

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s finance minister Miftah Ismail on Tuesday defended the federal government’s decision to raise the price of petrol, a day after the rate of petrol and light diesel oil (LDO) was increased by Rs6.72 and 43 paisa per liter, respectively.

Pakistan has announced fuel price hikes several times since May so it can meet conditions to resume receiving aid from a $6 billion package signed with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in 2019.

On Tuesday morning, the vice president of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) said Nawaz Sharif, the head of the party, was opposed to the federal cabinet’s decision to increase petrol prices again. Asif Ali Zardari, co-chairperson of the Pakistan Peoples Party, also expressed reservation over the price hike.

Speaking to reporters, Ismail defended the increase in fuel prices.

“Yesterday’s decision to raise petrol price was appropriate and in the coming weeks it will be beneficial,” the minister said. “As part of the government, I stand behind every decision of the government and take full responsibility.”

Ismail said OGRA, the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority, had sent a summary for the price hike to the prime minister, who had approved it.

The minister also spoke about the resumption of the IMF program, saying the fund was expected to hold its executive board meeting on August 29 and then resume the loan facility.

Pakistan has been struggling to get the program resumed, after it stalled earlier this year after the previous administration of ousted prime minister Imran Khan went against its terms and subsidized fuel and energy prices in the country.

Pakistan’s new government managed to secure a staff-level agreement for the resumption of the loan on July 13, though the deal requires the approval of the IMF executive board.

The finance minister said the IMF had sent its revised letter of intent, saying he would sign the document and send it back to the global lender later today, Tuesday.

“We are hoping that [the IMF] board meeting will be held in the month of August, probably on the 29th, after which the disbursement [of loan] will start,” he said. “You are aware that the [IMF] loan program has already resumed.”

The IMF resident chief in Pakistan, Esther Perez Ruiz, issued a statement earlier this month, saying the country had met all preconditions for the resumption of the loan program, though the executive board meeting would be held after Pakistan managed to secure “adequate financing assurances.”

The country’s acting governor of central bank has told the media the government was striving to bridge the external financing gap of $4 billion by reaching out to friendly countries, such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and China.

Discussing the overall economic state of the country, Ismail said Pakistan’s national currency had started recovering its losses in recent weeks.

“The dollar went out of control on July 17 and started depreciating rapidly for several days, though it is now beginning to come back,” he said.

Ismail added the Pakistani rupee had remained the strongest global currency since the beginning of August and the country’s equity market had also displayed a bullish trend during the same period.

He attributed the appreciation of rupee to his decision of temporarily halting the import of luxury goods while praising local importers for cooperating with the government.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.