Pakistani news channel taken off air, put on notice for content inciting ‘revolt’ against army

A Pakistani journalist gestures during a protest against the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority in Islamabad, Pakistan, on October 21, 2014. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 09 August 2022
Follow

Pakistani news channel taken off air, put on notice for content inciting ‘revolt’ against army

  • In news segment on Monday, hosts and Khan chief of staff discussed alleged media cell set up by ruling PMLN party to malign PTI
  • Dr. Shahbaz Gill’s comments tantamount to inciting “ranks and files of armed forces toward revolt,” electronic media regulator says

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s electronic media regulator has issued a show-cause notice to a major private news channel, ARY News, for airing “hateful and seditious” content that the authority said amounted to inciting revolt within the armed forces, a copy of the document shows.

The show cause notice released late on Monday night came hours after officials at ARY News, and an association of Internet service providers, said the channel had been taken off air by the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA), soon after the channel aired a segment considered critical of the government of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif as well as the top command of the Pakistan army.

ARY News is widely seen as being partial to ex-premier Imran Khan’s opposition Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, with criticism of the Sharif government’s political and economic polices a regular feature of news bulletins and current affairs shows.

On Monday, the channel aired a segment in which two hosts and chief of staff to Khan, Dr. Shehbaz Gill, alleged that Sharif’s ruling Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PML-N) party had activated a “strategic media cell” to malign the PTI and its chairman and build a public narrative that the party was against Pakistan’s all-powerful army. ARY had previously also made the accusations in June.

In the segment, Gill also advised army officers not to follow orders of the top command if they were “against the sentiments of the masses.”

“A beeper of Dr. Shehbaz Gill of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf was included who uttered highly hateful and seditious comments which tantamount to incite ranks and files of armed forces toward revolt,” PEMRA said in the notice issued to the channel.

“Airing of such content on your news channel shows either weak editorial control on the content or the licensee is intentionally indulged in providing its platform to such individual who intent to spread malice and hatred against the state institutions for their vested interests,” the notice read, saying this was against the country’s constitution.

The notice said the channel had also maligned the federal government by “egregiously, baselessly and categorically” claiming that it was running a malicious campaign over the tragic crash of an army aviation helicopter last week, causing agony to the families of the martyrs.

The regulator directed the chief executive officer of the channel to show cause in writing within three days explaining why legal action should not be initiated against the channel for violating the law and the constitution.

Earlier on Monday evening, officials of the channel said it had been taken off air in a number of cities.

“Just cause we reported a true story #ARYNews gets shut down,” ARY CEO Salman Iqbal said in a Twitter post.

“On the orders of PEMRA, cable operators across Pakistan have started removing ARY News from their cable network. Watch ARY News Live on Youtube,” Ammad Yousaf, senior executive vice president of ARY News, said.

ARY News was reported to still be off air in several cities of Pakistan on Tuesday morning.

The Internet Service Providers Association of Pakistan (ISPAK) confirmed to Arab News the suspension of the channel’s transmission across Pakistan, saying it was done on the instructions of PEMRA.

“We have received verbal instructions from PEMRA about an hour ago to off air ARY News,” Wahaj Siraj, convener ISPAK and co-founder of Nayatel, a major Internet service provider, told Arab News. “No reason is given to us to off air the channel, and this is being done almost across Pakistan now.”

“We have sent emails to our customers about the development. We don’t know as to when we will be able to restore the service,” Siraj added. “If we get any revised instructions from PEMRA to restore the service on our network, we’ll be able to do it in 20 to 30 minutes.”

Information Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb did not respond to calls and text messages seeking comment on whether the government was behind the blockade of ARY.

The development comes in the wake of an online smear campaign against the military and its officers after any army aviation helicopter carrying a senior commander and five others crashed on a mountain during a flood relief operation last Monday and all onboard were killed.

Following the incident, a social media campaign targeted the deceased officers and included hashtags against the military.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has called the campaign “horrifying” and said it reflected that the minds of young Pakistanis were being poisoned. The army’s media wing has also rejected the “regretful” social media trends, saying they had caused anguish among the families of those who had died as well as in the army as an institution.

On Sunday, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) said it was forming a joint investigation team to probe the smear campaign.

Members of the PTI have alleged that Twitter trends and anti-army posts are being pushed by the ruling PMLN, which the party denies.

The army has not yet commented on ARY being taken off air.


Pakistan launches digital cash aid for low-income families during Ramadan, PM says

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan launches digital cash aid for low-income families during Ramadan, PM says

  • Ramadan relief moves from state-run Utility Stores to targeted digital wallet transfers
  • Government to transfer financial assistance through wallets to support sehri, iftar expenses

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will provide financial assistance to low-income households through digital wallets during the fasting month of Ramadan, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said on Thursday, announcing a government relief initiative aimed at helping families afford daily meals.

The support program comes as many Pakistanis continue to face elevated food and utility costs despite easing inflation, with Ramadan traditionally increasing household spending on staple foods, fruits and energy consumption.

For decades, government-run Utility Stores Corporation outlets were central to Ramadan relief in Pakistan, selling subsidized flour, sugar, ghee and pulses through special “Ramzan packages” that drew long queues in low-income neighborhoods. In recent years, however, authorities have steadily scaled back the system amid mounting losses, corruption complaints and logistical inefficiencies, shifting instead toward targeted cash transfers delivered through digital wallets and banking channels. 

The change reflects a broader policy move away from state-managed commodity distribution toward direct financial assistance intended to give households flexibility while reducing leakages in subsidy programs.

“The Government of Pakistan has launched a Ramadan package under which financial assistance will be transferred to deserving individuals through digital wallets so that households can maintain sehri and iftar meals,” Sharif said in a message issued by his office.

The prime minister said Ramadan encourages compassion and collective responsibility toward vulnerable segments of society, adding that welfare support was part of the state’s duty during the holy month.

Officials say the digital cash transfers approach improves transparency and reduces corruption risks while enabling faster payments nationwide, particularly in urban low-income communities.

But the shift to fully digital assistance also brings challenges. 

Access to smartphones and reliable mobile Internet remains uneven, particularly in rural areas and among older recipients, while many low-income households use SIM cards registered to someone else, complicating verification.