Saudi Red Crescent helps 26,000 patients, accident victims in single month

1 / 2
Red Crescent emergency assistance can be requested by dialing 997. (SPA)
2 / 2
Red Crescent emergency assistance can be requested by dialing 997. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 03 August 2022
Follow

Saudi Red Crescent helps 26,000 patients, accident victims in single month

  • A total of 22 initiatives have been implemented by the authority in volunteering, training, medical and awareness programs

JEDDAH: Teams from the Saudi Red Crescent Authority in Makkah treated 26,296 people in July, ranging from patients to accident victims, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday.

Among those requiring help were 2,526 accident victims and 9,557 people needing regular assistance.

All cases were treated by specialized personnel using the latest equipment.

The authority is seeking to achieve faster response times, and has asked drivers to give way to ambulances and urged people to avoid gathering at accident scenes, which can delay the arrival of ambulance teams and slow their work.

A total of 22 initiatives have been implemented by the authority in volunteering, training, medical and awareness programs. It also conducted almost 30 courses and lectures in July, helping more than 840 people.

Red Crescent emergency assistance can be requested by dialing 997.

Services can also be booked through the “Asafny” app, which quickly identifies the address of the caller.

 


Saudi student Mohammed Al-Qasim ‘stabbed by stranger on drink, drugs,’ UK court hears

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Saudi student Mohammed Al-Qasim ‘stabbed by stranger on drink, drugs,’ UK court hears

  • 20-year-old ‘posed no threat to anybody’ when he was attacked in Cambridge last year
  • Jurors watch CCTV video of attack by man in high-vis jacket, BBC reports

LONDON: Saudi student Mohammed Al-Qasim died after being stabbed in Cambridge by a stranger who had been drinking and using drugs, prosecutors told a court in the UK city on Tuesday.

According to a BBC News website report of the trial at Cambridge Crown Court, prosecutor Nicholas Hearn said that the 20-year-old was sitting outside student accommodation on Aug. 1 last year when he was stabbed in the neck with a kitchen knife by Chas Corrigan.

CCTV cameras had recorded the attack along with Corrigan’s actions before and after the incident, he said.

Al-Qasim, a University of Jeddah student who had traveled to the UK to study at a language school during the summer, died just after midnight on Aug. 2.

Jurors watched CCTV video footage of the attack, which showed Al-Qasim running away after a confrontation with a man in a yellow high-vis jacket, the BBC report said.

The footage showed Corrigan, who was wearing the jacket, stabbing Al-Qasim, Hearn said.

“The reality is that, in this case, the footage speaks for itself,” he told the jurors.

Hearn said that Corrigan, 22, from Cambridge, had admitted being in possession of a knife at the time but denied murdering Al-Qasim.

Hearn said there was evidence that Corrigan had been drinking and taking drugs before the stabbing and had been “behaving crazily” in a pub.

“Mr Al-Qasim posed no threat to anybody. He was a student who had come to Cambridge to study from Saudi Arabia,” the lawyer said.

Hearn added that “the defendant was the aggressor here,” and that Al-Qasim had never met Corrigan.

Jane Osborne KC, Corrigan’s defense lawyer, said that her client had admitted he was the man in the CCTV video and that he had been carrying the knife, but had “no intention of using that knife,” the BBC report said.

Corrigan had aimed to wave the knife between himself and Al-Qasim, she said.

Corrigan denies murdering Al-Qasim and his trial is expected to last about two weeks.