Iran charges 20 over deadly building collapse

Iranians gather at the site where a ten-storey building collapsed in the southwestern city of Abadan on May 23, 2022. (Tasnim News/AFP)
Updated 21 July 2022
Follow

Iran charges 20 over deadly building collapse

  • It took emergency services almost two weeks to recover the bodies of those killed in the disaster
  • Tragedy sparked a series of demonstrations across the country against authorities accused of corruption and incompetence

TEHRAN: Iran has issued indictments against 20 people after the deadly collapse of a building that triggered widespread anti-corruption protests, the judiciary said on Thursday.
The 10-storey Metropol building that was under construction in the city of Abadan in southwestern Khuzestan province collapsed on May 23, leading to death of 43 people.
It took emergency services almost two weeks to recover the bodies of those killed in the disaster, one of Iran’s deadliest in years.
The tragedy sparked a series of demonstrations across the country against authorities accused of corruption and incompetence.
At the time, the provincial judiciary said it had arrested 13 people, including Abadan’s mayor and two former mayors in connection with the case.
“Considering the importance of the matter ... the case has been carefully evaluated and indictments have been issued against 20 people,” said the judiciary’s Mizan Online website.
“All the defendants in this case are currently in custody with applicable warrants,” it said, without identifying them or specifying what charges they faced.
The judiciary also confirmed the death of the building’s owner, who many had wanted to be held responsible for the collapse.
Iranian media outlets had earlier reported that he was among those who died in the disaster.


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 58 min 33 sec ago
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.