US President Biden welcomes Iraqi offer to host talks between Saudi Arabia and Iran

His statement came during a press conference in city of Jeddah following a meeting between the President and Al-Kadhimi. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 July 2022
Follow

US President Biden welcomes Iraqi offer to host talks between Saudi Arabia and Iran

  • Ongoing threats from Iran against the US and its allies have fueled tensions in the region in recent years

JEDDAH: US President Joe Biden on Saturday welcomed Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi’s initiative to host talks between Saudi Arabia and Iran in Baghdad. 

His statement came during a press conference in Saudi Arabia’s city of Jeddah following a meeting between the President and Al-Kadhimi. 

Ongoing threats from Iran against the US and its allies have fueled tensions in the region in recent years.

Last year, Al-Kadhimi survived an assassination attempt with explosive drones – which some have blamed on Iranian-backed factions amid soaring tensions and a stand-off between Iraqi security forces and pro-Iran Shiite militias over election results.

During the press conference, Biden said he wanted to support Iraq’s democracy.

“I want the press and you to know we want to be [as] helpful as we can in doing that,” he said.
Al-Kadhimi spoke about the “strategic, friendly relationship” between the US and Iraq and thanked the US for providing support to combat terrorist groups.

An estimated 2,500 US troops remain in Iraq to support the country’s fight against Daesh, the AP report added. 

Biden and Al-Kadhimi’s meeting came ahead of a summit with the leaders of the Gulf Cooperation Council, Egypt, Iraq and Jordan in Jeddah. 




Biden and Al-Kadhimi’s meeting came ahead of a summit with the leaders of the Gulf Cooperation Council, Egypt, Iraq and Jordan in Jeddah. (AFP)

The US president and the Arab leaders are set to discuss regional security amid rising tensions with Iran, and strengthening cooperation and enhancing relations between the US and the region’s countries. 

Biden also held a meeting with Egypt’s President Abdul Fattah El-Sisi in Jeddah – the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since Biden took office in 2021. 




Biden also held a meeting with Egypt’s President Abdul Fattah El-Sisi in Jeddah. (AFP)

Biden thanked his Egyptian counterpart for Egypt’s role in a ceasefire to Israel’s war with Hamas last year in the Gaza Strip, an acknowledgement of Cairo's role in the region.
“Looking forward to working with you on a whole range of issues,” Biden told El-Sisi.


Rubio plans to update Netanyahu on US-Iran talks in Israel next week, officials say

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Rubio plans to update Netanyahu on US-Iran talks in Israel next week, officials say

WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Marco Rubio plans to travel to Israel next week to update Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the US-Iran nuclear talks, two Trump administration officials said.
Rubio is expected to meet with Netanyahu on Feb. 28, according to the officials, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity to detail travel plans that have not yet been announced.
The US and Iran recently have held two rounds of indirect talks over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program.
Iran has agreed to draw up a written proposal to address US concerns that were raised during this week’s Geneva talks, according to another senior US official who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
That official said top national security officials gathered Wednesday in the White House Situation Room to discuss Iran, and were briefed that the “full forces” needed to carry out potential military action are expected to be in place by mid-March. The official did not provide a timeline for when Iran is expected to deliver its written response.
Officials from both the US and Iran had publicly offered some muted optimism about progress this week, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi even saying that “a new window has opened” for reaching an agreement.
“In some ways, it went well,” US Vice President JD Vance said about the talks in an interview Tuesday with Fox News Channel. “But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”
Netanyahu visited the White House last week to urge President Donald Trump to ensure that any deal about Iran’s nuclear program also include steps to neutralize Iran’s ballistic missile program and end its funding for proxy groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
Trump is weighing whether to take military action against Tehran as the administration surges military resources to the region, raising concerns that any attack could spiral into a larger conflict in the Middle East.
On Friday, Trump told reporters that a change in power in Iran “seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” He added, “For 47 years, they’ve been talking and talking and talking.”
The Trump administration has dispatched the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, from the Caribbean Sea to the Mideast to join a second carrier as well as other warships and military assets that the US has built up in the region.
Dozens of US fighter jets, including F-35s, F-22s and F-16s, have left bases in the US and Europe in recent days to head to the Middle East, according to the Military Air Tracking Alliance, a team of about 30 open-source analysts that routinely analyzes military and government flight activity.
The team says it’s also tracked more than 85 fuel tankers and over 170 cargo planes heading into the region.
Steffan Watkins, a researcher based in Canada and a member of the MATA, said he also has spotted support aircraft like six of the military’s early-warning E-3 aircraft head to a base in Saudi Arabia.
Those aircraft are key for coordinating operations with a large number of aircraft. He says they were pulled from bases in Japan, Germany and Hawaii.