Sudan protesters mark Eid Al-Adha at anti-army sit-in

Sudanese protesters take part in a sit-in against military leader Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and his October coup on Eid Al-Adha holiday in Khartoum. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 July 2022
Follow

Sudan protesters mark Eid Al-Adha at anti-army sit-in

  • Gen. Al-Burhan’s surprise move has been met with wide skepticism, and pro-democracy groups announced on Thursday the formation of a “revolutionary council” as protests held firm

KHARTOUM: Sudanese protesters celebrated Eid Al-Adha among barricades on Saturday during a sit-in against military leader Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and his October coup.
Protesters have continued to press the army chief to resign, days after he vowed to make way for a civilian government — an offer quickly rejected by the country’s main civilian umbrella group as a “ruse.”
Gen. Al-Burhan’s surprise move has been met with wide skepticism, and pro-democracy groups announced on Thursday the formation of a “revolutionary council” as protests held firm.
The sit-in continued in the capital’s twin city of Omdurman on Saturday, as an imam took over the microphone usually reserved for protest chants to deliver the Eid sermon.

FASTFACT

Protester Ibrahim Al-Haj said that demonstrators hope to show that ‘no matter what happening in the country, our message is ongoing.’

Protester Ibrahim Al-Haj said after the prayer that demonstrators hope to show that “no matter what is happening in the country, our message is ongoing.”
Gen. Al-Burhan led a coup in October that derailed a transition to civilian rule, unleashing near-weekly protests and prompting key donors to freeze much-needed funding, sending Sudan deeper into economic crisis.
The protests against Gen. Al-Burhan were reinvigorated on June 30, when tens of thousands gathered and nine people were killed by security forces, according to pro-democracy medics.
A total of 114 people have been killed in the crackdown by security forces against protesters since the October coup, the medics say.
Worshippers on Saturday held up flags showing the faces of protesters killed in the crackdown.
“We are committed to the martyrs’ rights,” Haj said.
“We are not going to forget our martyrs even for a day, no matter what.”


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 58 min 33 sec ago
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.