Pakistan’s Hajj operations going smoothly, says religious affairs minister

A Pakistani hajj volunteer speaks to pilgrims at Makkah, Saudi Arabia on June 16, 2022. (Courtesy: Pakistani Hajj mission at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
Short Url
Updated 03 July 2022
Follow

Pakistan’s Hajj operations going smoothly, says religious affairs minister

  • Mufti Abdul Shakoor confirms Saudi Arabia has increased Pakistan’s Hajj quota to 83,132
  • Pakistani Hajj mission has established two hospitals and 7 dispensaries for pilgrims

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Mufti Abdul Shakoor said on Sunday Pakistan’s Hajj operations were running smoothly as a majority of pilgrims had already arrived in Saudi Arabia.




Pakistan’s religious affairs minister Mufti Abdul Shakoor (2L) takes briefing from the officials of Pakistani Hajj mission in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on July 3, 2022. (Photo courtesy: Ministry of Religious Affairs)

Pakistan was initially allocated a quota of 81,132 pilgrims this year, out of which more 34,000 were supposed to utilize the government scheme while the rest had to be facilitated by private operators.
However, the Saudi authorities later increased Pakistan’s quota by 2,000, the minister confirmed, taking it to 83,132 pilgrims.
“The Saudi government has provided best facilities to Pakistani pilgrims,” he told Arab News over the phone from Makkah. “With [the kingdom’s] cooperation, we have completed all arrangements and our Hajj operation is going on smoothly without any problem.”




Pakistan’s religious affairs minister Mufti Abdul Shakoor is inspecting food preparations for pilgrims in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on July 1, 2022. (Courtesy: Ministry of Religious Affairs)

Shakoor said the arrangements provided to pilgrims included pick and drop service from airport, provision of good residential facilities in both Makkah and Madinah, hygienic food, transport and medical facilities.
“The Hajj medical mission has established one main hospital and five dispensaries in Makkah along with one main hospital and two dispensaries in Madinah,” he continued. “78,322 pilgrims have already arrived [in Saudi Arabia], including 34,322 under the government scheme, and the arrival of private scheme pilgrims will complete on July 4.”
The minister applauded the Saudi government for providing the Makkah Route facility to Pakistani pilgrims on a bigger scale this year, making it possible for the religious affairs ministry to operate “Hajj flights of Peshawar Faisalabad and Sialkot from the Islamabad airport.”




Pakistan’s religious affairs minister Mufti Abdul Shakoor is inspecting food preparations for pilgrims in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on July 1, 2022. (Courtesy: Ministry of Religious Affairs)

“To help pilgrims perform Hajj without any trouble, the Saudi government has improved the services at Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah,” he said, adding the authorities had also established a toll-free helpline and there were guides in both Makkah and Madinah to help pilgrims and resolve their problems.
Shakoor said the Saudi authorities had also provided home check-in facility on return flights that would make them collect luggage from the residential facilities of pilgrims for flights from Makkah and Madinah.
Asked about Hajj expenses, he said the government had managed to significantly bring them down despite the depreciation of the Pakistani currency and other financial challenges.




Pakistan’s religious affairs minister Mufti Abdul Shakoor is inspecting food preparations for pilgrims in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on July 1, 2022. (Courtesy: Ministry of Religious Affairs)

“We have brought down Hajj expenses by eliminating the role of the middle man and got residences directly from Saudi companies at much lower rates,” he said.
The minister added the government had tried to further cut down the expenses by providing one way trip to pilgrims in such a way that those who landed in Madinah would return to Pakistan after performing the pilgrimage from Makkah and those who arrived in Jeddah would return from Madinah.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”