Greek court rules seized Iran oil must be returned

Iran says seizure of two Greek oil tankers was a retaliation against Greece because it “stole” Iranian oil. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 June 2022
Follow

Greek court rules seized Iran oil must be returned

  • Athens “very hopeful” the move would lead to release of two Greek-flagged tankers seized by Iran, official says

ATHENS: A regional Greek court has ruled that Iranian oil seized from a Russian-flagged tanker in April must be returned, a Greek government official said Thursday.

The official added that Athens was “very hopeful” the move would lead to the release of two Greek-flagged tankers seized by Iran in retaliation last month.

The appeals court in Halkida took the decision in a ruling on Wednesday that has not yet been made official, the source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

“The court has ruled that the cargo be released. The Greek government was not involved,” the government official said.

The Russian-flagged tanker Pegas had been moored near the island of Evia when the cargo was seized in April in accordance with EU sanctions introduced after Russia invaded Ukraine in February.

According to information at the time, the tanker was carrying 115,000 tons of Iranian oil.

The tanker was renamed Lana and Greek authorities said the ship and its crew would be released.

But the oil was held at the behest of the US Justice Department, and a process to transfer the cargo to a US-chartered vessel had been underway.

“Half the cargo is still on the ship. It will have to be loaded and returned,” the Greek government official said.

Tehran’s Revolutionary Guards on May 27 boarded and seized two Greek-flagged oil tankers in the Gulf.

Iran’s supreme leader on Saturday said that the country’s seizure of two Greek oil tankers late last month was a retaliation against Greece because it “stole” Iranian oil.

Iran said it expects the oil cargo confiscated by Greece to be returned in full, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported Tehran’s ambassador to Athens as saying on Thursday, following the Greek court ruling quashing the original decision to confiscate.

 


Lawyers in Sanaa face Houthi repression: report

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Lawyers in Sanaa face Houthi repression: report

  • Claims of arbitrary arrests and detentions, direct threats
  • 159 Houthi violations in 2025, 88 in 2024, 135 in 2023

RIYADH: In Yemen, the Houthis are attacking lawyers, raising widespread concerns about the rule of law and state of the justice system, Asharq Al-Awsat reported on Tuesday.

“Recent reports from local human rights organizations have revealed a recurring pattern of systematic restrictions on the practice of (the) law profession, including arbitrary arrests, prolonged detentions, and direct threats,” according to Arab News’ sister publication.

The publication added that the situation “in Sanaa and other Houthi-controlled cities no longer provides a professional environment for lawyers who themselves are now subject to questioning or targeted for defending their clients, especially in cases of a political or human rights nature.”

The Daoo Foundation for Rights and Development organization have reported more than 382 Houthi violations against lawyers in Sanaa from January 2023 to December 2025.

These include arbitrary arrests, prolonged detention without legal justification, threats of murder and assault, preventing them from practicing law, and restrictions on the right to defense in cases of a political or human rights nature.

The report stated that there were 159 Houthi violations against lawyers in 2025, 88 in 2024 and 135 in 2023, which was described as a “systematic pattern.”

Local and international human rights organizations have called for urgent intervention to protect the legal practitioners in Yemen.

“Human rights activists believe that protecting lawyers is a prerequisite for maintaining any future reform or political path because the absence of an independent defense means the absence of justice itself,” Asharq Al-Awsat reported.