New sporting director Dan Ashworth ready to get to work after joining ‘incredible’ Newcastle United

Dan Ashworth has worked as the FA’s Director of Elite Development. (Getty Images)
Short Url
Updated 06 June 2022
Follow

New sporting director Dan Ashworth ready to get to work after joining ‘incredible’ Newcastle United

  • The 51-year-old arrives at St James’ Park after a successful spell at Brighton, and having previously fulfilled a similar role with the England national team
  • Dan Ashworth: ‘Each time I’ve been to St. James’ Park in the past, I have been reminded of the club’s long history and the unrivaled passion of its fan base’

NEWCASTLE: Dan Ashworth has revealed Newcastle United’s huge potential as one of the main factors in his decision to swap the south coast for Tyneside.

On Monday, the Magpies confirmed the appointment of former England DNA architect Ashworth as the club’s first ever sporting director, with Premier League approval granted over the weekend.

Ashworth will start work at St James’ Park “immediately” after waiting more than three months to get started at Newcastle. In February, Brighton & Hove Albion refused to release the football executive from his position despite Ashworth tendering his resignation. Newcastle and their Premier League rivals last week came to a financial agreement to free Ashworth from his contractual ties, with the new Magpies hire working the full eight months notice required as part of his deal.

The fee paid in order to rip up Ashworth's Seagulls deal is thought to be in the region of $3.7 million.

“Newcastle United is an incredible football club and I’m delighted to be joining at this very exciting time,” said Ashworth.

“Each time I’ve been to St. James’ Park in the past, I have been reminded of the club’s long history and the unrivaled passion of its fan base. It is a huge football club with great potential, and I am incredibly positive about what we can collectively achieve.

“I’m excited to start work immediately and look forward to being part of a team that is helping the club to grow and achieve long-term success.”

Confirming the news, a club statement revealed Ashworth will begin his role “immediately” as the club look to improve on their 11th-placed Premier League finish last season.

Ashworth’s role is an all-encompassing one, with his remit covering the preparation of a club sporting strategy, football development and recruitment at all age levels as well as building a close working relationship with head coach Eddie Howe, academy manager Steve Harper and head of recruitment Steve Nickson.

The 51-year-old has performed similar roles at West Bromwich Albion and the Football Association. During his six years with the FA, Ashworth played an integral role in devising and introducing the “England DNA” concept, designed to inject a winning culture at international level.

Appointing Ashworth is the first major football appointment away from the first-team boss and is expected to be one of many changes off the pitch at Newcastle.

Reacting to the news, in a joint statement, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media said: “On behalf of the board, staff and players, we would like to welcome Dan Ashworth to the Newcastle United family.

“Dan was the ideal person for this hugely important position. He has a strong track record in elite level football and we are delighted to have him join Newcastle United ahead of the new season.”

A club statement read: “Dan Ashworth has commenced his role as Newcastle United’s sporting director after the club received formal Premier League approval for his move from Brighton & Hove Albion.

“The club announced on Monday 30 May that an agreement had been reached to release Ashworth from his contractual duties as Brighton & Hove Albion’s technical director and complete a move to the Magpies. He has now cleared the relevant Premier League approval process.”


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”