NEW DELHI: The devastating heat wave that has baked India and Pakistan in recent months was made more likely by climate change and is a glimpse of the region’s future, international scientists said in a study released Monday.
The World Weather Attribution group analyzed historical weather data that suggested early, long heat waves that impact a massive geographical area are rare, once-a-century events. But the current level of global warming, caused by human-caused climate change, has made those heat waves 30 times more likely.
If global heating increases to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) more than pre-industrial levels, then heat waves like this could occur twice in a century and up to once every five years, said Arpita Mondal, a climate scientist at the Indian Institute of Technology in Mumbai, who was part of the study.
“This is a sign of things to come,” Mondal said.
The results are conservative: An analysis published last week by the United Kingdom’s Meteorological Office said the heat wave was probably made 100 times more likely by climate change, with such scorching temperatures likely to reoccur every three years.
The World Weather Attribution analysis is different as it is trying to calculate how specific aspects of the heat wave, such as the length and the region impacted, were made more likely by global warming. “The real result is probably somewhere between ours and the (UK) Met Office result for how much climate change increased this event,” said Friederike Otto, a climate scientist at the Imperial College of London, who was also a part of the study.
What is certain, though, is the devastation the heat wave has wreaked. India sweltered through the hottest March in the country since records began in 1901 and April was the warmest on record in Pakistan and parts of India. The effects have been cascading and widespread: A glacier burst in Pakistan, sending floods downstream; the early heat scorched wheat crops in India, forcing it to ban exports to nations reeling from food shortages due to Russia’s war in Ukraine; it also resulted in an early spike in electricity demand in India that depleted coal reserves, resulting in acute power shortages affecting millions.
Then there is the impact on human health. At least 90 people have died in the two nations, but the region’s insufficient death registration means that this is likely an undercount. South Asia is the most affected by heat stress, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of a dataset published Columbia University’s climate school. India alone is home to more than a third of the world’s population that lives in areas where extreme heat is rising.
Experts agree the heat wave underscores the need for the world to not just combat climate change by cutting down greenhouse gas emissions, but to also adapt to its harmful impacts as quickly as possible. Children and the elderly are most at risk from heat stress, but its impact is also inordinately bigger for the poor who may not have access to cooling or water and often live in crowded slums that are hotter than leafier, wealthier neighborhoods.
Rahman Ali, 42, a ragpicker in an eastern suburb of the Indian capital New Delhi earns less than $3 a day by collecting waste from people’s homes and sorting it to salvage whatever can be sold. It’s backbreaking work and his tin-roofed home in the crowded slum offers little respite from the heat.
“What can we do? If I don’t work...we won’t eat,” said the father of two.
Some Indian cities have tried to find solutions. The western city of Ahmedabad was the first in South Asia to design a heat wave plan for its population of over 8.4 million, all the way back in 2013. The plan includes an early warning system that tells health workers and residents to prepare for heat waves, empowers administrations to keep parks open so that people can shade and provides information to schools so they’re able to tweak their schedules.
The city has also been trying to “cool” roofs by experimenting with various materials absorb heat differently. Their aim is to build roofs that’ll reflect the sun and bring down indoor temperatures by using white, reflective paint or cheaper materials like dried grass, said Dr. Dileep Mavalankar, who heads the Indian Institute of Public Health in western Indian city Gandhinagar and helped design the 2013 plan.
Most Indian cities are less prepared and India’s federal government is now working with 130 cities in 23 heat wave-prone states for them to develop similar plans. Earlier this month, the federal government also asked states to sensitize health workers on managing heat-related illnesses and ensure that ice packs, oral rehydration salts, and cooling appliances in hospitals were available.
But Mavalankar, who wasn’t part of the study, pointed to the lack of government warnings in newspapers or TV for most Indian cities and said that local administrations had just not “woken up to the heat.”
South Asia’s intense heat wave a ‘sign of things to come’
Short Url
https://arab.news/rnugg
South Asia’s intense heat wave a ‘sign of things to come’
- Current level of global warming, caused by human-caused climate change, has made those heat waves 30 times more likely
- Heat wave blamed for glacier burst in Pakistan, causing floods, and scorching of wheat crops in India
Striking Argentine workers clash with police in protest over labor reforms
BUENOS AIRES: Shops and supermarkets closed, flights were canceled and garbage piled up Thursday as Argentine workers staged their fourth general strike of President Javier Milei’s term, some clashing with police.
The few buses running in Buenos Aires were nowhere near full, although car traffic was unusually heavy as many workers observed the 24-hour strike against a contentious labor reform.
Dozens of flights were canceled and train stations were left deserted with only a handful of buses running, AFP observed.
On roads leading into the capital, small groups of protesters blocked traffic.
Later in the day, several thousand demonstrators gathered outside parliament, where a few dozen participants engaged in running battles with police, throwing bottles and stones.
Officers replied with tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets to clear the area.
Police were observed making about a dozen arrests.
The CGT labor federation said more workers adhered to the walkout call than during any of the previous three strikes.
“It has levels of compliance like never before under this government,” union leader Jorge Sola told Radio con Vos, claiming that “90 percent of activity had stopped.”
The contested reforms pushed by budget-slashing Milei, an ideological ally of US President Donald Trump, would make it easier to hire and fire workers in a country where job security is already hard to come by.
It would also reduce severance pay, limit the right to strike, increase work hours and restrict holiday provisions.
The measure was approved by the chamber of deputies in the early morning hours of Friday, and will go back to the Senate for a final green light.
“I want to work because I am afraid of losing my job but I cannot get there. I will have to walk,” Nora Benitez, a 46-year-old home caregiver, said ahead of a five kilometer (three mile) trek to her job along streets reeking of uncollected garbage.
- Reforms spark protests -
The labor action comes as Argentina’s economy is showing signs of a downturn in manufacturing, with more than 21,000 companies having shuttered in two years under Milei.
He had come to power after wielding a chainsaw at rallies during the 2023 election campaign to symbolize the deep cuts he planned to make to public spending.
Unions say some 300,000 jobs have been lost since Milei’s austerity measures began.
Most recently, Fate — Argentina’s main tire factory — on Wednesday announced the closure of its plant in Buenos Aires, prompting some 900 job cuts.
The last general strike in Argentina was on April 10, 2025, but adherence was uneven as workers in the public transport system did not join.
Last week, thousands of people demonstrated in Buenos Aires as senators debated the reform bill, and clashes with police resulted in about 30 arrests.
On Tuesday, the government issued an unusual statement warning reporters about the “risk” of covering protests, and announced it would establish an “exclusive zone” from which the media can work.
“In the event of acts of violence, our forces will act,” a statement from the security ministry said.
Almost 40 percent of Argentine workers lack formal employment contracts, and unions say the new measures will make matters worse.
But the government argues they will in fact reduce under-the-table employment and create new jobs by lowering the tax burden on employers.
Milei, in office since December 2023, has achieved at least one of his macroeconomic goals: bringing annual inflation down from 150 percent to 32 percent in two years.
But it is a success that has come at the cost of massive public sector job cuts and a drop in disposable income that has sapped consumption and economic activity.
Milei will follow Thursday’s events at home from Washington, where he attended the first meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace,” which has drawn criticism as an attempt to rival the United Nations.
The few buses running in Buenos Aires were nowhere near full, although car traffic was unusually heavy as many workers observed the 24-hour strike against a contentious labor reform.
Dozens of flights were canceled and train stations were left deserted with only a handful of buses running, AFP observed.
On roads leading into the capital, small groups of protesters blocked traffic.
Later in the day, several thousand demonstrators gathered outside parliament, where a few dozen participants engaged in running battles with police, throwing bottles and stones.
Officers replied with tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets to clear the area.
Police were observed making about a dozen arrests.
The CGT labor federation said more workers adhered to the walkout call than during any of the previous three strikes.
“It has levels of compliance like never before under this government,” union leader Jorge Sola told Radio con Vos, claiming that “90 percent of activity had stopped.”
The contested reforms pushed by budget-slashing Milei, an ideological ally of US President Donald Trump, would make it easier to hire and fire workers in a country where job security is already hard to come by.
It would also reduce severance pay, limit the right to strike, increase work hours and restrict holiday provisions.
The measure was approved by the chamber of deputies in the early morning hours of Friday, and will go back to the Senate for a final green light.
“I want to work because I am afraid of losing my job but I cannot get there. I will have to walk,” Nora Benitez, a 46-year-old home caregiver, said ahead of a five kilometer (three mile) trek to her job along streets reeking of uncollected garbage.
- Reforms spark protests -
The labor action comes as Argentina’s economy is showing signs of a downturn in manufacturing, with more than 21,000 companies having shuttered in two years under Milei.
He had come to power after wielding a chainsaw at rallies during the 2023 election campaign to symbolize the deep cuts he planned to make to public spending.
Unions say some 300,000 jobs have been lost since Milei’s austerity measures began.
Most recently, Fate — Argentina’s main tire factory — on Wednesday announced the closure of its plant in Buenos Aires, prompting some 900 job cuts.
The last general strike in Argentina was on April 10, 2025, but adherence was uneven as workers in the public transport system did not join.
Last week, thousands of people demonstrated in Buenos Aires as senators debated the reform bill, and clashes with police resulted in about 30 arrests.
On Tuesday, the government issued an unusual statement warning reporters about the “risk” of covering protests, and announced it would establish an “exclusive zone” from which the media can work.
“In the event of acts of violence, our forces will act,” a statement from the security ministry said.
Almost 40 percent of Argentine workers lack formal employment contracts, and unions say the new measures will make matters worse.
But the government argues they will in fact reduce under-the-table employment and create new jobs by lowering the tax burden on employers.
Milei, in office since December 2023, has achieved at least one of his macroeconomic goals: bringing annual inflation down from 150 percent to 32 percent in two years.
But it is a success that has come at the cost of massive public sector job cuts and a drop in disposable income that has sapped consumption and economic activity.
Milei will follow Thursday’s events at home from Washington, where he attended the first meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace,” which has drawn criticism as an attempt to rival the United Nations.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










