Baniyas and Sharjah shine as Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup for Under-18s wraps in Abu Dhabi

Sharjah Self-Defence Sports Club (in white) dominated the women’s division at the Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup for Under-18s in Abu Dhabi. (UAEJJF)
Short Url
Updated 19 April 2022
Follow

Baniyas and Sharjah shine as Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup for Under-18s wraps in Abu Dhabi

  • Reigning champions Baniyas Club forced Al-Ain to settle for second in the men’s competition, while Sharjah Self-Defense Sports Club won the women’s division at the Jiu-Jitsu Arena

ABU DHABI: Baniyas Club and Sharjah Self-Defense Sports Club have emerged the big winners of the men’s and women’s divisions respectively at the Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup for Under-18s on Saturday.

Just seven days after the Under-16 competition and in front of a big crowd of fans, parents and friends, the UAE’s best young athletes, aged 16 and 17 and hailing from multiple Emirati clubs and academies, took to the mats at the Jiu-Jitsu Arena in Abu Dhabi. The competition followed an open belt system.

A strong Baniyas Club won the men’s division, forcing Al-Ain to settle for second and Sharjah Self-Defense Sports Club to take third. In the women’s division, Sharjah defeated Al-Ain to secure first, while Al-Wahda Club settled for third.

“One of the most noteworthy aspects of this tournament is the extraordinary performance of the women athletes and their technical level,” said Fahad Ali Al-Shamsi, secretary-general of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation. “This is a result of the federation’s efforts to increase participation of the women’s team in local and international tournaments.

“Allocating separate competitions for the Under-18 category during the current season is proving highly beneficial. This comes within the UAEJJF’s framework of supporting and refining talents, as well as providing a competitive environment that paves the road for achieving excellence at all levels.”

Salem Nayef Al-Kathiri, executive director of Baniyas Club, said: “The President’s Cup is close to our hearts, therefore clubs competed furiously to win the title. It was our ambition to win the tournament and retain the title. We overcame many challenges, but thanks to the constant support of the club’s management and the efforts of our players, we were able to win the championship. We congratulate Al-Ain Club and its players on an outstanding performance also.”

Raja Al-Muhairi, who helped Sharjah to take the women’s title, and Khaled Muhammad, the men’s player from Baniyas, both put their titles down to the intensive pre-competition training that had gone into their preparations.

“The achievement was the result of following an aggressive training program that made us fully prepared to confront our tough competitors, who also prepared strongly for the tournament,” Al-Muhairi said.

Muhammad said: “I’m delighted for securing first place and proving our quality by retaining the prestigious title. I thank God for this victory. My colleagues and I put in a lot of effort in training to prepare for this competition, which is one of the most important local championships held under the UAEJJF’s supervision.”

Following the competition, an awards ceremony for the winners was held in the presence of Mohamed Salem Al-Dhaheri, vice chairman of UAEJJF.


Filipino boxing icon Pacquiao to face Provodnikov in April return bout

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Filipino boxing icon Pacquiao to face Provodnikov in April return bout

  • Pacquiao last fought in July, when he ended a long hiatus with a majority draw against WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios
  • His professional record stands at 62 wins, eight losses and three draws from 73 fights
Manny Pacquiao confirmed ‌he will face former junior welterweight world champion Ruslan Provodnikov in Las Vegas on April 18, marking his second outing since returning from a four-year retirement last year. The 47-year-old last fought in July, when he ended a long hiatus with a majority draw against WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios.
“I carry the ‌Philippines with me ‌every time I fight. ‌The ⁠support from my ⁠country and from fans around the world continues to inspire me,” Pacquiao said in a statement issued by Industry Media and Banner Promotions on Wednesday.
“Returning to Las Vegas means so much to ⁠me, and I’m excited to work ‌with a team ‌focused on creating a world-class experience for ‌the fans. I’m coming back to give ‌them a great fight – and I’m ready.” Pacquiao initially retired in 2021 before resuming his career last year. Away from the ring, ‌he served in the Philippine Senate from 2016 to 2022 ⁠and ⁠mounted an unsuccessful presidential bid in 2022.
The eight-division world champion — the first boxer to achieve that feat — also became the oldest welterweight world champion at age 40 in 2019. His professional record stands at 62 wins, eight losses and three draws from 73 fights.
He was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2025.