Pakistan dispatches humanitarian aid to Ukraine as Russian forces press in on Kyiv

Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi a ceremony to dispatch relief goods to Ukraine at Nur Khan Air Base in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on March 15, 2022. (@PakinUkraine/Twitter)
Short Url
Updated 15 March 2022
Follow

Pakistan dispatches humanitarian aid to Ukraine as Russian forces press in on Kyiv

  • More than three million have fled Ukraine since the beginning of the Russian invasion 
  • PM Imran Khan’s cabinet on Monday approved $335,000 aid for Eastern European country 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Tuesday dispatched a consignment of humanitarian aid to Ukraine as Russian forces continued to press in on Kyiv, amid one of the worst refugee crises in Europe since the World War II. 

The development came a day after Pakistan’s federal cabinet approved the allocation of about Rs60 million ($335,000) for Ukraine as an expression of solidarity with the Ukrainian people. 

Islamabad has found itself in a precarious situation since the beginning of Russian invasion as President Vladimir Putin ordered his forces to attack Ukraine the day Prime Minister Imran Khan was visiting Moscow. 

Pakistan is also one of the few countries in the world that has not condemned Russia for invading Ukraine. 

The relief goods were dispatched during a ceremony, attended by Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, at the Nur Khan air base in Rawalpindi. 

“I am here to express solidarity with the people of Ukraine. I am here to deliver humanitarian assistance package for the people of Ukraine,” Qureshi said at the ceremony. 

“We wish the negotiations that are taking place prove to be fruitful and there is cessation of hostilities as soon as possible.” 




The photograph shows the relief goods to be dispatched to Ukraine at Nur Khan Air Base in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on March 15, 2022. (@PakinUkraine/Twitter)

Through this gesture, he said, Pakistan wanted to tell the Ukrainian people that “we have not forgotten you, we understand that you are in a difficult situation and this humble contribution is a reflection of our concern.”   

On Tuesday, Russian forces pressed in on Kyiv as a 35-hour curfew began after strikes on residences killed four people in the Ukrainian capital, despite a fresh round of talks aimed at halting the war. 

The leaders of Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovenia visited Kyiv in an act of solidarity, while the White House announced US President Joe Biden would attend summits of the EU and NATO next week. 

But tensions were mounting as Russia broadened its assault across Ukraine with a huge strike on an airport. Kyiv's mayor Vitali Klitschko said the curfew was in response to an impending "dangerous moment". 

Nearly three weeks into Russia's invasion of its pro-Western neighbour, more than three million have fled to neighbouring countries, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky told Canadian lawmakers in a virtual address. 

Ninety-seven Ukrainian children have died, he added. 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.