Pakistan, Saudi Arabia begin two-month long joint exercise in Multan 

A group photo of Pakistani and Saudi soldiers taking part in Pak-Saudi joint military exercises in Multan on Feb 9, 2022. (ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2022
Follow

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia begin two-month long joint exercise in Multan 

  • Joint training is aimed at strengthening and sharing of knowledge through a comprehensive training program
  • Two countries have strong defense ties and Pakistan regularly trains Saudi officers and soldiers

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Saudi Arabia launched a two-month-long joint military exercise in the Pakistani city of Multan, the Pakistan army’s media wing said on Tuesday, part of a longstanding defense cooperation deal between the two countries.
Pakistan regularly trains Saudi officers and soldiers. In September last year, Saudi and Pakistani forces conducted the joint Naseem Al-Bahr 13 naval exercise in the Arabian Sea near Karachi, with Saudi F-15 aircraft participating in a missile firing drill for the first time.
“To enhance and strengthen the existing military cooperation between Pakistan Army and Royal Saudi Land Forces (RSLF), a contingent of Royal Saudi Land Forces arrived for Joint Mechanized Training in Multan Garrison,” the Pakistan army said in a statement, saying the program would go on for two months.

“The joint training is aimed at strengthening and sharing of knowledge through a comprehensive training program,” the statement said. “Drills and procedures will be practiced and tactical exercises conducted to refine the same.”
Earlier this week, Saudi Interior Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif visited Islamabad and in a meeting with Pakistani counterpart Sheikh Rashid Ahmed agreed to enhance cooperation to counter the security challenges.
“Both sides discussed hosts of issues including regional security situation and enhancing cooperation and coordination between the ministries of two countries to meet the security challenges confronting Pakistan and Saudi Arabia,” a statement from the Interior Ministry read.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”