Taliban government won’t allow Daesh to establish ‘foothold’ in Afghanistan — FM Muttaqi

Afghanistan's Taliban Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi (C) arrives to attend the opening of a special meeting of the 57-member Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Islamabad, Pakistan, on December 19, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 December 2021
Follow

Taliban government won’t allow Daesh to establish ‘foothold’ in Afghanistan — FM Muttaqi

  • In interview to Arab News, FM says will not let any militant group use Afghan soil against other nations
  • Says financial assets frozen abroad belong to Afghan people, against human rights to block access

ISLAMABAD: Afghanistan’s acting Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi said on Sunday the Afghan Taliban would not allow the Daesh militant group to gain a “foothold” in the country or allow any terror outfits to use Afghan soil against other nations.

Muttaqi was speaking to Arab News on the sidelines of an Organization of Islamic Corporation summit being held in Islamabad on Sunday to help Afghanistan, which is facing a looming economic meltdown and humanitarian catastrophe.

“We have controlled Daesh in the whole of Afghanistan, and haven’t permitted anyone to use our land against any other country,” Muttaqi said in an interview. “It is our promise to the whole world that Afghan soil will not be used against anyone. We will not allow it.” 

“We will not let Daesh and any other group establish a foothold in Afghanistan as the Afghan people want peace,” he added.

Afghanistan, which is also suffering from a banking liquidity crisis as the cash flow dries up due to sanctions, is facing the risk of economic collapse since the Taliban took over.

But Muttaqi said there was now peace in Afghanistan and the government was strong and stable: “The people are happy,” he insisted.

Afghanistan parked billions of dollars in assets overseas with the US Federal Reserve and other central banks in Europe, but that money has been frozen since the Taliban ousted the Western-backed government in August.

Muttaqi pressed for the release of the billions of dollars of central bank reserves as the drought-stricken nation faces a cash crunch, mass starvation and a new migration crisis.

“The financial assets of Afghanistan belong to the Afghan people, it is not our [Taliban’s] money,” the foreign minister said, urging the US and other Western nations to allow access to the funds. “Why have they frozen those assets and created problems for the Afghan people? Even one Afghan person who is working abroad cannot send their hard earned money back to their country. Is this human rights?”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”