Ons Jabeur set to make history as first Arab to play in Mubadala World Tennis Championship

Ons Jabeur of Tunisia in action during the fourth round at Wimbledon earlier this year. (MWTC)
Short Url
Updated 15 December 2021
Follow

Ons Jabeur set to make history as first Arab to play in Mubadala World Tennis Championship

  • Tunisian and African No. 1 will face Olympic singles gold medalist Belinda Bencic in headline women’s match on day one in Abu Dhabi

ABU DHABI: Ons Jabeur, the highest-ranked Arab tennis player ever, has joined the line-up for the 13th edition of the Mubadala World Tennis Championship at the Zayed Sports City International Tennis Center in Abu Dhabi.

She will also make history as the first Arab to play in the tournament when she takes to the court on Thursday as a replacement for US Open champions Emma Raducanu, who withdrew from the championship after testing positive for COVID-19 on arrival in Abu Dhabi.

Jabeur, from Tunisia, who reached a career-high No. 7 world ranking last month, will face Tokyo Olympics singles gold medalist Belinda Bencic in the headline women’s match on Thursday, the opening day of the festival that runs from Dec. 16-18.

“I am proud and honored to be the first Arab woman to play the Mubadala World Tennis Championship. This has been a terrific year for me and I know that the championship is the best start to an exciting 2022 season,” she said.

Jabeur, Africa’s No. 1, has enjoyed an outstanding season, reaching the quarterfinals at Wimbledon and winning her maiden WTA title by defeating Daria Kasatkina at the Birmingham Classic, making history as the first Arab to win a WTA Tour event.

“Abu Dhabi is a major sports destination and has always felt special to me, every time I come, I am grateful and amazed by the incredible welcome and support of the people. I look forward to bringing my A-game to the court and put on the best show possible for Abu Dhabi tennis fans,” Jabeur said.

Championship organizers also confirmed US No. 1 Taylor Fritz and British No. 2 Dan Evans will feature in the much-anticipated men’s draw.

Fritz, who currently has a career-high No. 23 world ranking, is the first American to play at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship since Andy Roddick and James Blake in 2009.

He will play world No. 14 Denis Shapovalov in the opening match on day one.

“Playing in the Mubadala World Tennis Championship, with such a strong line-up, gives me a great chance to start my 2022 season against the best and test myself. I look forward to making my debut in the championship and meeting everyone in Abu Dhabi,” said Fritz.

The American replaces Casper Ruud, who has been ruled out through injury.

Ruud said: “It’s very unfortunate that I have to withdraw as I was really looking forward to making my debut in Abu Dhabi. Injuries are part of sport and while I won’t be making the trip this time, I hope to play in the championship many times in the years to come.”

Meanwhile, Dan Evans, the British player who reached world No. 22 in September, replaces Dominic Thiem, the former US Open winner who expressed disappointment over his withdrawal.

“I was looking forward to making my return to competition at Abu Dhabi, but I feel that I am yet not ready to compete at the highest level,” Thiem said.

“It’s disappointing to not take part this year, but I need to continue my preparation for the upcoming season. I hope to return to the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in the future.”

Evans will take on compatriot and two-time MWTC winner Andy Murray in a battle of Britain in the second match on day one.

“I’m excited about playing in Abu Dhabi. I know there’s a lot of British fans there, so it’s great that I’m facing Andy. It’s a great opportunity and the perfect test to start my new season.”

John Lickrish, CEO of Flash Entertainment, the championship owners, said: “Unfortunately, we have had to make some changes to our line-up due to injuries and Emma’s positive COVID-19 test. We wish them all a speedy recovery and hope to see them back on court and in Abu Dhabi again soon. We are however delighted to still deliver a world-class line-up, including a first for Arab tennis. We look forward to an exciting three days ahead.”


Julian Quinones hat-trick keeps Al-Qadsiah title charge alive with win over Al-Okhdood

Updated 16 sec ago
Follow

Julian Quinones hat-trick keeps Al-Qadsiah title charge alive with win over Al-Okhdood

  • Al-Qadsiah moved to within three points of leaders Al-Hilal after a 4-2 victory over Al-Okhdood, with the table-toppers set to face Al-Ittihad on Saturday

DAMMAM: Al-Qadsiah continued their impressive run under Brendan Rodgers, recording a 10th win in 13 matches under the Northern Irishman with a thrilling victory on Matchday 23 of the Saudi Pro League.

The hosts started brightly and nearly took the lead inside the opening minute. Within 52 seconds, Nahitan Nandez fired two shots following a mistake from goalkeeper Samuel, but Mohanad Al-Qaydhi and Koray Gunter produced successive goal-line clearances to deny him.

Nandez threatened again in the seventh minute after a slick move down the left involving Christopher Bonsu Baah and Musab Al-Juwayr, but Samuel redeemed himself with a smart save.

The Brazilian goalkeeper endured a mixed evening. While he produced several key saves, a series of costly errors proved decisive.

Julian Quinones thought he had opened the scoring in the 13th minute after capitalising on a Samuel mistake, but the goal was ruled out for offside against Turki Al-Ammar in the build-up.

Samuel’s struggles continued in the 29th minute when he parried Quinones’ shot straight into the path of Mateo Retegui, though the Italian failed to convert from close range. Five minutes later, Retegui’s header slipped through the goalkeeper’s grasp, struck the crossbar and fell kindly for Quinones, who controlled the ball on his chest before finishing into the empty net.

Al-Okhdood responded within 10 minutes, as Christian Bassogog met Muath Faqihi’s cross with a low finish to level the score.

Al-Qadsiah reasserted control after the break, showing their determination to remain in touch with the title race. Five minutes into the second half, Waleed Al-Ahmed scored his first goal for the club, heading home a well-delivered cross from Nandez.

In the 73rd minute, Quinones brought up his 20th league goal of the season with a composed finish past Samuel.

Al-Okhdood provided a late scare when Abdulaziz Al-Hatila struck a long-range effort in the 86th minute that hit the crossbar, bounced down and crossed the line, with goal-line technology confirming the goal.

However, Al-Qadsiah responded almost immediately. Just 60 seconds later, Quinones completed his hat-trick to take his tally to 21 goals for the campaign and seal the win.

Elsewhere, Abdelrazzak Hamedallah and Yannick Carrasco inspired Al-Shabab to a 3-1 away victory over Damac in Nourredine Ben Zekri’s first match in charge. The Riyadh side moved seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Al-Taawoun’s difficult run continued with a 3-2 home defeat to Al-Fayha. The visitors led 2-0 after 52 minutes through goals from Yassine Benzia and Fashion Sakala, before Roger Martinez and Mohammed Al-Dossari struck twice in five minutes to draw Al-Taawoun level.

Sakala had the final say with an 89th-minute winner, lifting Al-Fayha to 10th place.

Saudi Pro League action resumes on Saturday, with Al-Nassr hosting Al-Hazem, Al-Khaleej welcoming NEOM and Al-Hilal facing Al-Ittihad in the Saudi Clasico. All matches kick off at 10:00pm under the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.