Afghan Taliban foreign minister arrives in Islamabad on three-day maiden visit

Advisor to Pakistan's prime minister on commerce, Abdur Razak Dawood, receives Afghanistan’s interim foreign minister Amir Khan Muttaqi in Islamabad on November 10, 2021. (Photo courtesy: Pakistan foreign office)
Short Url
Updated 10 November 2021
Follow

Afghan Taliban foreign minister arrives in Islamabad on three-day maiden visit

  • Pakistan’s envoy to Kabul says Afghan FM’s visit to Pakistan ‘significant’
  • Foreign office says Pakistan to host troika plus meeting on Thursday

ISLAMABAD: Afghanistan’s interim foreign minister arrived in Islamabad on a three-day visit after the Taliban took control of Kabul in August, the Pakistani foreign office said, saying discussions would focus on enhanced trade, cross-border movement, land and aviation links, and regional connectivity.

This is the first visit of Amir Khan Muttaqi, the top Afghan diplomat, to Pakistan since the Taliban seized control of Afghanistan on August 15.

Pakistan’s foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi visited Kabul last month, announcing that a Taliban delegation would soon visit Islamabad.

Pakistani foreign office on Wednesday said in a statement that Qureshi would inaugurate a troika plus meeting in which special representatives and envoys for Afghanistan from China, Russia, the United States and Pakistan would participate.

 “Pakistan attaches high importance to the Troika Plus mechanism on the situation in Afghanistan. Pakistan hopes that deliberations of the Troika Plus meeting would contribute to the ongoing efforts for achieving lasting peace and stability in Afghanistan,” the FO statement said. 

While Islamabad has not formally recognized the Taliban as Afghanistan’s legitimate rulers it is among a handful of countries that have retained diplomatic presence in Kabul.

Confirming the visit, Pakistan’s envoy to Kabul Mansoor Ahmed Khan called it "extremely significant." 

“Pakistan and Afghanistan are close neighbors who cherish an important relationship which is rooted in common border, history, culture and religion,” he told Arab News. “It is an important visit in the current scenario when Afghanistan faces serious economic issues that can lead to a major humanitarian disaster.”

Khan said Pakistan’s foreign minister had led a high-level delegation to Kabul on October 21 to figure out how his country could meaningfully assist Afghanistan in the current scenario.

“At that occasion, we also invited the Afghan side to visit Islamabad to discuss bilateral contacts by focusing on humanitarian engagement, trade, transit and people-to-people movement between the two countries,” the Pakistani envoy said.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.