PM Khan defends increase in petroleum prices, says Pakistan offering ‘cheapest’ rates in region

Prime Minister Imran Khan addressing a public gathering in Attock, Pakistan, on November 5, 2021. (PID Photo)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2021
Follow

PM Khan defends increase in petroleum prices, says Pakistan offering ‘cheapest’ rates in region

  • The prime minister was addressing a gathering in Attock where he laid the foundation stone of a maternity hospital
  • Khan said his government managed to keep the oil prices low by drastically cutting down the petroleum levy

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan on Friday defended his decision to increase petroleum prices in the country, saying the rates in his country were still the lowest among the oil importing world.
Khan issued the statement while addressing a gathering in Attock where he laid the foundation stone of a maternity hospital.
Last month, he refused to increase the price of petrol by Rs11.53 after receiving a proposal for upward revision from the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority.
An official statement maintained the prime minister took the decision “keeping in view the public interest,” though he announced in his address to the nation in the next few days that it was inevitable to raise these prices.
“India is selling one liter of petrol for Rs250 while Bangladesh is doing that for Rs200,” he told his audience. “Pakistan is selling it for Rs146. If we count out the oil producing nations, Pakistan is offering diesel and petrol at the cheapest rates in all the oil importing countries.”

The prime minister said his government managed to keep the oil prices low by drastically cutting down the petroleum levy.
He added the world was moving through a tough phase which was also negatively impacting his country’s economy, though he hoped for a positive change in the coming months since world markets were gradually opening up after the coronavirus pandemic.
Khan also criticized his political rivals during his speech, saying Pakistan was left behind by other regional states in the last 30 years.
He added his administration was doing its best to catch up with the rest of the world by constructing dams and developing other infrastructure while moving toward more enduring economic growth.

 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.