Government to deploy Rangers in Punjab for 60 days as banned religious outfit continues violent protest

Interior Minister of Pakistan Sheikh Rashid Ahmad speaks during a news conference in Islamabad, Pakistan, on October 27, 2021. (PID)
Short Url
Updated 27 October 2021
Follow

Government to deploy Rangers in Punjab for 60 days as banned religious outfit continues violent protest

  • The government has decided to allow armed forces to use necessary force after prior warning to prevent any act of terrorism
  • The interior minister warns Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan of international sanctions if it continues its violent demonstrations

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s interior minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said on Wednesday the federal government had approved a summary of the Punjab government to deploy paramilitary Rangers in the province for 60 days to maintain law and order in the wake of the protests by the banned Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) party.
TLP activists have indulged in violent demonstrations, seeking the release of their top leader, Saad Rizvi, and the expulsion of the French ambassador to Pakistan over the anti-Islam caricatures published in his country last year.
The minister accused TLP protesters of firing on the police in Sadhoke, Gujranwala, with Kalashnikovs, killing three policemen and injuring over 700 in the clashes.
He said that eight of the injured police personnel were in critical condition.
“We have deployed Rangers and allowed the Punjab government to use section 5 of the anti-terrorism act for 60 days,” he said. “A summary for its approval is sent to the cabinet.”
The section 5 of the anti-terrorism act allows the military and civil armed forces to use necessary force after giving prior warning to prevent “the commission of terrorist acts or scheduled offenses.”
“The Punjab government can use the Rangers wherever they want,” he said.




The picture shows the notification issued by Ministry of Interior regarding the deployment of Rangers in Pakistan's Punjab province. 

The minister recently carried out negotiations with the banned religious outfit and announced on Monday that the government was willing to accept all of its demands except for the expulsion of the French envoy.
“We are still going to stand by our commitment,” Ahmed said. “However, the TLP has reneged on its commitment of reopening the GT road on both sides [for traffic].”
He warned the TLP of international sanctions, urging its leaders to go back peacefully.
“If the international community slaps a ban on them, it will be beyond the control of the Pakistan government to intervene,” he continued.
The interior minister said that he had directed the Federal Investigation Agency to crack down on those spreading fake news on social media regarding the TLP protest on the instruction of Prime Minister Imran Khan.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”