Shoaib Malik gets T20 World Cup place in Pakistan squad

Pakistan's Shoaib Malik plays a shot during the international Twenty20 cricket match with England at Old Trafford cricket ground in Manchester, England, on August 30, 2020. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 02 November 2021
Follow

Shoaib Malik gets T20 World Cup place in Pakistan squad

  • 39-year-old Malik has been in prolific form in the ongoing National Twenty20 tournament in Pakistan
  • He had announced he will end his career after the Twenty20 World Cup, if selected

KARACHI: Veteran batsman Shoaib Malik has been included in Pakistan’s Twenty20 World Cup squad, replacing top order batsman Sohaib Maqsood, who was ruled out due to a back problem, selectors said Saturday.
The 39-year-old has been in prolific form in the ongoing National Twenty20 tournament in Pakistan, having scored 225 in seven games and there were calls from the fans for his inclusion.
Having retired from test cricket in 2015 and one-day internationals two years ago, Malik had announced he will end his career after the Twenty20 World Cup, if selected.
On Friday, Pakistan made three changes to their 15-man World Cup squad announced last month but had included Maqsood in the squad subject to proving his fitness.
But chief selector Mohammad Wasim said doctors have ruled Maqsood out.
“Sohaib is devastated to miss out on the T20 World Cup on doctors’ advice and following discussions with the team management, we have decided to include Malik in the side,” Wasim is quoted as saying in a Pakistan Cricket Board release.
Malik captained Pakistan in the inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007 and was a member of the side that won the tournament in 2009.
He played the last of his 116 Twenty20 internationals against England in September last year.
The Pakistan squad will depart for Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on 15 October.
The World Cup starts in Oman and the UAE from October 17. Pakistan will open their campaign with a high-voltage game against archrivals India on October 24 in Dubai.
Updated squad: Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan, Asif Ali, Fakhar Zaman, Haider Ali, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Wasim Junior, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shoaib Malik
Traveling reserves: Khushdil Shah, Shahnawaz Dahani, and Usman Qadir.


Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

  • Unexploded mortar shell in Bajaur home kills one, injures nine including children
  • Motorcycle bomb near Bannu police station kills two, wounds 12 civilians

PESHAWAR: At least three people were killed and more than 20 others injured in two separate explosions in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said on Monday.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border. 

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

In the first incident, a senior police officer Anwar Zeb told Arab News a suspected mortar shell exploded in Salarzai, a remote town in Bajaur district, killing one person and injuring nine others.

“Initial reports indicated that children had found an unexploded mortar shell and brought it home, where it later detonated late Sunday evening,” he added.

Riaz Khan, media officer at Bajaur Rescue1122, said those injured in the blast included men, women and children.

“A rescue team was swiftly dispatched to the area to evacuate those dead and injured to the nearest medical facility,” he added.

In a separate incident, a remote-controlled bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded near Miryan Police Station in southern Bannu district, according to Aamir Khan, spokesman to Regional Police Officer.

“The explosive device had been installed in a motorcycle parked near shops in front of the police facility, killing two civilians while 12 others sustained injuries,” he added.

Security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the explosion and launched a search operation.

Investigations into both incidents are ongoing.