Saudi fans apologize to Japanese captain, people for taunts after World Cup qualifier

Japan’s defender Maya Yoshida, right, contests the ball with Saudi’s midfielder Sami Al-Najei during the World Cup qualifier at King Abdullah Sport City Stadium in Jeddah, Oct. 7, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 October 2021
Follow

Saudi fans apologize to Japanese captain, people for taunts after World Cup qualifier

  • Phone film footage showed supporters jeering Maya Yoshida after Saudi Arabia’s 1-0 win leading to player storming off pitch
  • Saudi fans subsequently flooded social media platforms with messages of support for Yoshida

RIYADH: Saudi Arabian football fans, officials, and former players have condemned the behavior of a minority of supporters who taunted Japan’s captain Maya Yoshida after his team’s 1-0 loss in Thursday’s World Cup qualifier in Jeddah.

The incident was filmed by a fan on his mobile phone and later posted on social media, leading to Saudi football followers launching a campaign on Twitter under the hashtag, Saudi fans apologize to Japan.

Center back Yoshida, 33, was preparing to give a post-match interview when the jeers from the stand started. The incensed player began to remonstrate with the crowd before storming of the pitch.

Soon after, Saudi fans flooded social media platforms with messages of support for Yoshida.

Sports analyst Hatim Khayami, a former Saudi national team player and ex-president of Al-Wehda Football Club in Makkah, described the behavior of the small group of fans as “inappropriate and disappointing.”

He told Arab News: “This is not our behavior as Saudis, we love all people and nations. I would like to express our apologies and extend our love and appreciation to the Japanese people.

“I would like to convey this message to them that what occurred on Thursday night with the Japanese captain after the match from four or five teenagers does not represent Saudis. I am sure by this morning these boys are regretting what they did.”

The incident soured what had been a glorious night for the Saudi team, who now have a maximum of nine points from three matches in Group B of the Asian qualifiers for the next World Cup.

Coach Herve Renard’s team now faces China on Tuesday, and another win would represent a massive step toward Qatar 2020.

Ibrahim Al-Qassem, secretary-general of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation on Friday took to Twitter to express his disappointment at what had happened.

“I have apologized to the general secretary of the Japanese Football Association and those segments of fans do not represent the Saudi community,” he said.

Saudi presenter Turki Al-Ajma also criticized the fans’ behavior during his popular daily “Koora” show, pointing out that while supporters should do all they can to encourage their team during a match, they must show respect after it.

Mohammed Abdul Jawad, former captain of the Saudi national team, said: “Sadly, a small minority of people behaved inappropriately and, in a manner, not reflective of our support. Some of the scenes were unacceptable and have distorted our celebration.”


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”