Catalan ex-leader Puigdemont freed temporarily

Catalonia's former separatist leader Carles Puigdemont walked out of a Sardinian courthouse Monday after a judge delayed a decision on Spain's extradition request and said he was free to travel. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 October 2021
Follow

Catalan ex-leader Puigdemont freed temporarily

  • Puigdemont walked out with his lawyers, shook hands and embraced supporters, saying he was "very happy,"
  • His Italian lawyer told reporters that a decision on extradition to Spain is pending decisions on two questions already being considered by European courts

SASSARI, Sardinia: Catalonia’s former separatist leader Carles Puigdemont walked out of a Sardinian courthouse Monday after a judge delayed a decision on Spain’s extradition request and said he was free to travel.
Puigdemont walked out with his lawyers, shook hands and embraced supporters, saying he was “very happy,” as he got in a van and was whisked away.
His Italian lawyer, Agostinangelo Marras, told reporters that a decision on extradition to Spain, where he is accused of sedition, is pending decisions on two questions already being considered by European courts. But he said his client is free to travel as he pleases in the meantime.
“He is absolutely free. The court will set a new date after the European court decides on the two pending questions. One is the immunity of President Piugdemont, and the other is the legitimacy of the Spanish judge to issue the arrest warrant,″ Piugdemont’s Italian lawyer, Agostinoangelo Marras, told The Associated Press.
The Italian court first wants to see how the European Union’s general court will rule on Puigdemont’s appeal to the lifting of his immunity as a European Parliament member that this same court confirmed in July. Secondly, the Italian court will wait to see if the European Union Court of Justice rules that the Spanish Supreme Court has the authority to request the extradition of Puigdemont, after a Belgian court said in January that it didn’t when it requested the return of another associate of Puigdemont.
Puigdemont was arrested on Sept. 23 in Sardinia, where he had arrived from his home in Belgium to attend a Catalan cultural festival at the invitation of a Sardinian separatist movement. He was freed by a judge a day later pending Monday’s extradition hearing.
Puigdemont and fellow separatists Clara Ponsatí and Toni Comín had their immunity as European Parliament members lifted earlier this year as requested by Spain after the European Union’s general court said that they didn’t demonstrate they were at risk of being arrested.
Ponsatí and Comín were among a contingent of high-profile separatists who traveled to Sardinia to show their support for Puigdemont on Monday, triggering a request sent by a Spanish judge to Italy to have them detained as well. There was no immediate indication they had been taken into custody.
A group of about 20 supporters rallied outside the courthouse as Puigdemont arrived for the hearing. Some members of the crowd shouted “freedom!” and waved Catalan separatist flags.
Puigdemont, 58, has successfully avoided extradition since taking up residence in Waterloo, Belgium, after leading an illegal 2017 secession attempt by the wealthy Catalonia region in Spain’s northeast.
After a Belgian court declined to send him back in 2017, the following year he was arrested in Germany but a court there also refused to extradite him.
Several of his cohorts who stayed in Barcelona were arrested and found guilty of sedition and misusing public funds.
In an attempt to defuse the political crisis he inherited from his conservative predecessor, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez pardoned nine imprisoned separatist leaders in June. Puigdemont, and others like him who fled, couldn’t benefit from the act of grace since they have yet to face justice.
The detention of Puigdemont two weeks ago comes with the former regional president struggling to retain his preeminent role in the Catalonia separatist movement, which has surged in popularity over the past two decades.
Puigdemont’s party has lost the regional presidency of Catalonia and is now the minor member of a coalition led by a separatist rival which is leading talks with Sánchez’s government to resolve the festering crisis. Puigdemont’s party isn’t participating in the negotiations which its leaders have criticized as a distraction from rebuilding strength for another unilateral secession bid.
“While some are trying to talk with the Spanish government, there are others like Puigdemont who are undermining the institutions of the state,” said Jordi Puigneró, the leading member of Puigdemont’s party in Catalonia’s government.
Despite already enjoying a good degree of self-rule, polls and election results show that roughly half of Catalans want to form a new state. The other half wants to remain in Spain given the centuries of cultural and family ties linking Catalonia with the rest of the country.
The majority of Spaniards are against the loss of Catalonia, which for decades has represented a land of opportunity for those who moved there from poorer regions.
Sardinia has historic and cultural ties with Catalonia that date back to the 14th century.


Peru to elect interim leader after graft scandal ousts president

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Peru to elect interim leader after graft scandal ousts president

  • Jose Jeri was accused in the irregular hiring of several women in his governmen
  • Lawmakers will choose a new parliament speaker who will lead the country until July 28
LIMA: Peru’s Congress is set to elect an interim president on Wednesday to replace Jose Jeri, who was impeached in a graft scandal just four months after taking office.
Jeri, 39, was accused in the irregular hiring of several women in his government, and of suspected graft involving a Chinese businessman.
The new interim president will be Peru’s eighth head of state in 10 years, after the Latin American country burned through a string of leaders who were impeached or investigated for wrongdoing.
Lawmakers will choose a new parliament speaker who will lead the country until July 28, when the next president elected in national polls takes office.
Jeri himself became president following the impeachment of his predecessor Dina Boluarte in October.
The vote, which is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. (2300 GMT), will end a power vacuum of more than 24 hours, unprecedented in the country’s recent history.
Four members of Congress have thrown their hat in the ring for the top job: former Congress president Maria del Carmen Alva, left-wing congressman Jose Balcazar, veteran socialist Edgar Raymundo, and Hector Acuna, whose party is tainted by corruption scandals.
Alva is one of the favorites to win the vote.
Jeri is constitutionally barred from running.
Peru’s chronic political instability has seen four of its past seven presidents impeached, and two resigning before suffering the same fate. Only one completed his intended term, centrist academic Francisco Sagasti.
Congress voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to impeach Jeri, who was serving as interim president after massive protests last year ousted Boluarte, Peru’s first woman leader who served for only 22 months.
The new interim president will serve out the remainder of Jeri’s term. A new leader will then take over following elections on April 12.
‘True leader’
Paula Jimenez, a 22-year-old saleswoman in the Peruvian capital Lima, said the political crisis was “secondary” compared to the everyday problems of ordinary people.
She accused parliament of focusing on internal squabbles rather than the concerns of Peruvians.
Peru has been gripped by a wave of extortion that has claimed dozens of lives, high levels of post-pandemic poverty and unemployment, and the domestic rise of gangs such as Venezuela’s Tren de Aragua.
Edgardo Torres, a 29-year-old industrial engineer from Lima, said Peru needed “a true leader” to bring some much-needed political stability.
Prosecutors last week opened an investigation into whether Jeri “exercised undue influence” in government appointments.
Jeri has protested his innocence.
He found himself in the spotlight over claims revealed by investigative TV program Cuarto Poder that five women were improperly given jobs in the president’s office and the environment ministry after meeting with Jeri.
Prosecutors said there were in fact nine women.
Jeri is also under investigation for alleged “illegal sponsorship of interests” following a secret meeting with a Chinese businessman with commercial ties with the government.