Pakistan Navy starts joint drill with Saudi naval forces in Karachi

Pakistani Navy personnel welcomes Saudi Naval Forces ship at Karachi port, Pakistan, on October 02, 2021. (Photo courtesy: Pakistan Navy)
Short Url
Updated 04 October 2021
Follow

Pakistan Navy starts joint drill with Saudi naval forces in Karachi

  • Naseem Al-Bahr is a series of exercises to improve the interoperability of Pakistan, Saudi navies
  • Royal Saudi Air Force will also participate in the drill with a number of combat aircraft

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani and Saudi forces on Sunday started the joint Naseem Al-Bahr 13 naval exercise in Karachi to improve their interoperability and strengthen bilateral ties, the Pakistan Navy said.
Royal Saudi Navy vessels reached the port of Karachi on Saturday and were welcomed by top Pakistan Navy officials.
The drill is part of the Naseem Al-Bahr exercise series between the Saudi and Pakistani naval forces.
“The exercise includes joint conduct of maritime security operations across the traditional and non-traditional warfare domains thus enhancing interoperability between both the navies,” the Pakistan Navy said in a statement, adding that the drill is “aimed to consolidate the existing strong bilateral relations between Pakistan Navy and Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RSNF).”

 


The Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) will also participate in the exercise with a number of combat aircraft.
“Besides Naval ships of both Navies, aviation units including PN & RSNF helicopters embarked onboard ships and aircraft of RSAF will also participate in this exercise,” the navy said.
The Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on Saturday quoted exercise commander Rear Adm. Sajer bin Rafeed Al-Anezi as saying Naseem Al-Bahr is a series joint exercises carried out by the Saudi naval forces and the Pakistani Navy, which aim to “unify concepts and joint work between the navies of the two countries.”
The two naval forces have strong relations as Pakistan had provided training to Saudi officers and sailors during the Saudi navy’s formative period between the 1970’s and 80’s.
Many Saudi officers are graduates of the Pakistan Naval Academy in Karachi.

 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.