Families of Beirut blast victims protest against suspension of probe

Activists and relatives of victims of the Beirut port blast lift placards as they demonstrate on Sep. 29, 2021 outside the Beirut's Justice Palace, to protest the suspension of the probe into the Aug. 4, 2020 port explosion. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 September 2021
Follow

Families of Beirut blast victims protest against suspension of probe

  • Lawmaker wants judge’s dismissal from case

BEIRUT: Relatives of people killed in last year’s Beirut port explosion protested on Wednesday against the suspension of a probe into the tragedy.

The blast killed more than 200 people, wounded thousands and devastated the capital.

Tarek Bitar, the judge leading the investigation, had to suspend his work on Monday after what the families and human rights groups said was another blatant case of political obstruction.

Carrying portraits of their loved ones and placards calling for justice, the protesters voiced their support for Bitar, whose summons targeting senior officials have made him a target for threats and criticism.

MP Nohad Machnouk, who is a former interior minister, has demanded Bitar’s dismissal from the case.

He filed an appeal against the judge last week. Machnouk is one of the top officials suspected of negligence, a charge brought by Bitar.

Bitar suspended his investigation and all procedures related to the case, pending a decision by the Beirut Appeals Court to accept or reject the appeal filed by Machnouk.

The sobbing protesters demanded to know who killed their children. 

One mother told Arab News: “I hope that they will not turn us into criminals who will pursue the perpetrators. We are not outlaws. We want the truth from the judiciary, so let Judge Bitar do his work because we trust him. Do not drive us toward taking matters into our own hands.”

A group of lawyers entered the Palace of Justice and hung a giant banner from a balcony overlooking the lobby. 

It featured pictures of the blast victims and the words: “Don't kill them twice.” 

Lawyers chanted slogans asking for a just verdict and demanded the Beirut Court of Appeals reject Machnouk’s complaint.

Other banner slogans read: “Last chance for justice in the country,” “Lebanon is a hostage and besieged,” and “We will not forget.” 

Others were more political in nature, such as “Iran out” and “Yes to neutrality and yes to an international conference for Lebanon.”

Protesters were surrounded by security forces, but they were joined by activists from civil society, human rights, social and humanitarian organizations, including doctors, engineers and university students.

They condemned “abnormal practices, pressures and blatant threats by the parties in power.”

They demanded “international protection" for Lebanon because it was “besieged by the authority and corrupt politicians who destroyed and stole from Lebanon and are still in power and are now protecting each other.”

They said there was “no hope for saving Lebanon from corruption, crime and theft in light of this ruling system and the Lebanese people are slipping from bad to worse.”

There is a Thursday midday deadline for Bitar to express his opinion on Machnouk’s case and report it to the court.

President Michel Aoun tweeted that any conviction or acquittal was determined by the final court ruling, not by the investigation.

“Investigation is not the judiciary,” he said. “If the investigation erred, there are three phases for correction: Beginning, appeal and cassation. Hence, investigations must continue so that the guilty are convicted, and the innocent are acquitted.”

A statement from the families was read out in front of the Palace of Justice. It criticized Hezbollah’s threat to Bitar.

“This case brought us together and the main suspect is the one who threatens the judge inside the Palace of Justice,” it said.

On Wednesday, the French Foreign Ministry expressed its regret about the probe’s suspension. 

“The Lebanese people have the right to know the truth regarding the Beirut Port explosion and the Lebanese judiciary must work with complete transparency,” it said.

The UN Security Council has stressed the necessity for Lebanese authorities to conduct “a prompt, independent, impartial, thorough and transparent investigation into the explosion that shook the port in August 2020.”


Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president on Saturday condemned deadly Israeli attacks on his country carried out a day prior, the latest despite a ceasefire with militant group Hezbollah.
In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts” by the United States and other nations to establish stability.
A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.
Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group’s Palestinian ally Hamas.
The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.
Israel’s military said it struck “several terrorists of Hezbollah’s missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area.”
Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group “will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee.”
He called on Beirut to “suspend the committee’s meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks.”
Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.
Lebanon’s government last year committed to disarming the group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.
Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army’s progress on disarming the militant group insufficient.