LeBron James confirms receiving COVID-19 vaccine but ‘not my job’ to persuade others

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James is photographed during media day at the UCLA Health and Training Center in El Segundo, California. (Jayne Kamin-Oncea/USA TODAY Sports)
Short Url
Updated 29 September 2021
Follow

LeBron James confirms receiving COVID-19 vaccine but ‘not my job’ to persuade others

  • Los Angeles Lakers superstar had declined previously to say whether he had been vaccinated, saying it was a "private" matter for him and his family
  • He told reporters on Tuesday he had now been vaccinated, part of a Lakers drive to ensure that 100 percent of the squad and staff had taken the vaccine

LOS ANGELES: LeBron James confirmed he had been vaccinated against Covid-19 on Tuesday but said it was “not my job” to convince other NBA players to follow suit.
The Los Angeles Lakers superstar had declined previously to say whether he had been vaccinated, saying it was a “private” matter for him and his family.
However he told reporters on Tuesday he had now been vaccinated, part of a Lakers drive to ensure that 100 percent of the squad and staff had taken the vaccine.
“At the end of the day you’re always trying to figure out ways that you can be available and protect one another and put yourself in the best possible chance where you are available to your team-mates, available to do what we need to do on the floor,” James said.
“The ultimate goal is to win a championship and it starts with being healthy which is the number one thing.
“We’re excited to know that we’ve given ourselves another opportunity to be available to each other, and that’s what it came down to.”
James said he had opted to be vaccinated after deciding it was in the best interests of himself and his family.
“When it comes to me I can speak for myself,” James said.
“I think everyone has their own choice to do what they feel is right for themselves and their family and things of that nature.
“I know that I was very skeptical about it all but after doing my own research I felt like it was best suited for me and my family and my friends. That’s why I decided to do it.”
Around 90 percent of players in the NBA are believed to have been vaccinated as the new season approaches.
However there remains a significant number who have either said they will not take the vaccine or have refused to confirm their status.
Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving on Monday said he was keeping his decision private while Washington Wizards ace Bradley Beal has said he is declining the vaccine for “personal reasons.”
When pressed Tuesday over whether he could play a greater role in persuading individuals over the vaccine, James said it was not his place to do so.
“You’re talking about individual’s bodies,” James said. “You’re not talking about something that’s political, or racism, or police brutality. You’re talking about people’s bodies and well-being.
“I don’t feel like for me personally I should get involved in what people do for their bodies and their livelihoods. It would be like me talking about whether somebody should take this job or not. You have to do what’s best for you and your family.
“I know what I did for me and my family. But as far as speaking for everybody and their individualities and what they want to do... that’s not my job.”

*


Al-Ahli survive first-half scare on way to win that moves them joint-top of Saudi Pro League

Updated 24 min 28 sec ago
Follow

Al-Ahli survive first-half scare on way to win that moves them joint-top of Saudi Pro League

  • Bottom-of-the-table Al-Najma shock their hosts with 1-0 half-time lead but hat-trick from Ivan Toney helps them recover and claim an important 4-1 victory
  • In an entertaining Eastern Province derby, Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes and survived a spirited Al-Fateh comeback attempt to eventually triumph 4-3

DAMMAM: Matchday 22 in the Saudi Pro League began with what was, eventually, a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home.

However, the hosts endured a tough first 45, during which they fell 1-0 behind and missed a penalty, before scoring four in the second half against visitors who were reduced to 10 men in the 58th minute.

Al-Najma arrived in Jeddah with some confidence, fresh from their first-ever victory in the Pro League after a 2-1 home win against Al-Kholood on Saturday. And despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing their hosts to play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.

The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was head coach Nestor El-Maestro, who returned to the Saudi Pro League this month five years after a spell with Al-Taawoun. After guiding his new club to their first win in 21 matches, a result against Al-Ahli would have provided the perfect spark to ignite their survival bid.

In 2022, during his time at relegation-battling Goztepe in the Turkish Super Lig, El-Maestro said: “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block.” That philosophy certainly defined the bold approach adopted by Al-Najma against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.

Initially, the strategy paid off. David Tijanic beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lazaro, who guided the ball past Edouard Mendy to hand the visitors an unexpected lead.

As Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equalizer, Ivan Toney appeared to be brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away the penalty appeals. Moments later, however, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy review by the video assistant referee and, eventually, a spot-kick for the hosts.

However Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign, and with a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, watched as his penalty was saved by Victor Braga. Toney pounced on the rebound but the keeper recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.

Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clattering into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but a VAR review overturned the decision and Al-Najma went into the break still in front.

Al-Ahli knew victory was essential at this pivotal point of the season, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash on Saturday that could have a large bearing on the ultimate outcome of the title race.

And their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed the equalizer in the 48th minute.

Atangana was fouled 10 minutes later when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker had already been booked and the referee gave him his marching orders.

With the numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted their control over the game. This paid off in the 69th minute when Roger Ibanez picked out Mahrez with a measured. long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into the path of Toney, and the English striker finished the move in clinical style.

Toney added his second of the evening, and 22nd of the season, in the 87th minute, when he met a Matheus Goncalves cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.

The win moved Al-Ahli level with Al-Hilal, at least for now, at the top of the league on 53 points. Meanwhile, El-Maestro’s task at Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves his side eight points adrift of safety.

Elsewhere, the Eastern Province derby between Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters. Home side Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum, plus an own goal, putting them firmly in control.

North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals at the start and end of stoppage time in the first half.

Madallah Al-Olayan restored a two-goal cushion for Al-Ettifaq in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale. However, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.

On Friday, Al-Okhdood host Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun face visiting Al-Fayha, and Al-Shabab travel to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games will kick off at 10 p.m. thanks to the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.