Saudi Arabian women’s fencing team launches training camp at Prince Saud bin Jalawi Sport City

The Saudi women's fencing team during their training camp at Prince Saud bin Jalawi Sport City. (Saudi Arabia Fencing Federation)
Short Url
Updated 11 September 2021
Follow

Saudi Arabian women’s fencing team launches training camp at Prince Saud bin Jalawi Sport City

  • The sessions include 30 fencers preparing for competitive action in Dammam next week

The Saudi Arabian women’s fencing team has launched a training camp at the fencing hall of Prince Saud bin Jalawi Sport City in Al-Rakah ahead of the Gold Round of the Saudi Fencing Championship in Dammam, Arabic sports daily Arriyadiyah has reported.

The 30 members of the team are preparing for the competition, which will take place on Sept. 17-18 and include the foil, épée and sabre categories.

The training sessions focused on technical aspects of the sport, as well as exercises to improve the physical fitness of participants after a recent break during the summer.

The team’s technical staff, led by Malak Al-Sultan and Daad Al-Misfer, also worked on the application of a number of tactics devised by the Saudi Arabia Fencing Federation.

Fencing is increasingly popular in the Kingdom and the federation has ensured that even in the downturn in activities during the pandemic the sport has continued to thrive.

“We didn’t stop; on the contrary, we were very active,” Ahmed Al-Sabban, president of the Saudi Arabia Fencing Federation, told Arab News in May. “During the lockdown we also returned to the regular season and we organized tournaments for boys and girls, and the last participation for us was the qualification for the Tokyo Olympics in the Asian Zone.”

Al-Sabban also highlighted the rise of participation among female athletes across the country.

“We’ve worked on it. It’s a noble sport, a sophisticated sport, like equestrian activities,” Al-Sabban said. “It’s a unique, royal, sport and the participation has been great. And not just from the targeted younger female fencers, but in recent times we’ve seen a rise in women taking up fencing for fun, taking part in local competitions for fun.”


Flick tells Barca stars to feel ‘responsibility’ for dip

Updated 10 sec ago
Follow

Flick tells Barca stars to feel ‘responsibility’ for dip

  • “I think everyone is convinced about what we are doing, of course in these moments it’s not easy,” Flick said
  • “We were very honest and also very open, it’s not only me telling them what to do, I want to ask them”

BARCELONA: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick told his team they must feel responsibility after two damaging defeats ahead of Sunday’s clash against Levante in La Liga.
The Catalan giants are bolstered by the return of Pedri Gonzalez and Marcus Rashford after injury as they aim to overhaul Real Madrid in the Spanish title race.
After a 4-0 thrashing by Atletico Madrid last week in the Copa del Rey semifinal first leg, Barca fell to a 2-1 league defeat against Girona on Monday, giving Los Blancos a two-point advantage at the summit.
“I think everyone is convinced about what we are doing, of course in these moments it’s not easy,” Flick told reporters Saturday.
“For me, communication is always important. We were very honest and also very open, it’s not only me telling them what to do, I want to ask them. This is how I manage the team.
“It is important because we need leaders on the pitch, they should (be able) to say something. That’s how communication is, on the same eye-level.
“At the end, I have to decide things, that is my job, but I want the players to feel the responsibility about this situation, and I think they do.”
Rashford returns after a fortnight out with a knee problem, while key playmaker Pedri has missed a month with a hamstring injury.
“The positive thing is Rashford is back, Pedri is back,” said Flick.
“Maybe (Pedri) can play some minutes, the important thing is he’s training, with his quality.
“He’s an important player for us, he’s a different kind of leader because of his quality.
“He can also be one of these leaders for the future for this club.”
Flick also confirmed 21-year-old midfielder Gavi is back in training after undergoing knee surgery in September 2025.
Real Madrid visit Osasuna on Saturday aiming to stretch their lead on Barca before Levante visit Camp Nou.