SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS: Red Bull’s Max Verstappen mastered the rain to claim Belgian Grand Prix pole on Saturday, snatching the fastest time in qualifying from surprise package George Russell of Williams.
Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes will start on the second row as he goes for his 100th Grand Prix win, Daniel Ricciardo’s McLaren completing the second row.
Qualifying was marred by a heavy crash in Q3 involving the McLaren of Lando Norris, whose hopes of a first ever pole bit the dust at Eau Rouge.
With the Briton thankfully escaping serious injury, nine cars took to the track when the shoot-out resumed after a 40-minute red flag intervention.
Fellow Briton Russell was poised to give Williams an astonishing first pole since 2001 with seconds of Q3 to go.
But the young driver’s brilliant time was narrowly shaded by Verstappen in the Dutch driver’s final flying lap.
Russell still had the satisfaction of placing in front of Hamilton, with Russell in contention alongside Valtteri Bottas for the second Mercedes drive in 2022.
“I’m absolutely buzzing,” said the Williams man.
“Tomorrow’s the most important one, but it’s been mega today. I’m delighted for everyone. If the weather is the same and it’s there for the taking, we’ll go for it.”
Hamilton said it had been “a very difficult day for everyone.”
“I’m just trying to stay positive, focused and calm. Max did a great job and a great job also by George — that’s fantastic,” added the seven-time world champion who is eight points clear of Verstappen in the drivers standings.
“We’re first and that’s the most important thing,” said Verstappen.
“It’s an amazing track to drive and very difficult in the wet. I’m super happy to qualify like this after the (summer) break.”
Q3 got off to a dramatic start when Norris came badly unstuck in the treacherous wet conditions.
The Briton lost control of his McLaren, his car spinning multiple times from one side of the track to the other after the rear end hit the barriers at Eau Rouge.
The only one of his four tires intact was the front left.
Sebastian Vettel, who had called for the Q3 session to be stopped a little while earlier, drove up in his Aston Martin to make sure the 21-year-old was okay.
The German, a four-time former world champion, only drove on when he got a thumbs up.
Norris’ team came over the radio asking “Lando, are you okay, are you okay?” with the shaken, but seemingly unharmed, driver replying “Yes, Sorry boys we should have had a good one. I’ve let you down.”
The medics then helped him gingerly out of his cockpit.
The session was red-flagged as stewards hurried to clear the debris from the stricken McLaren off the track. Norris’ mechanics were set for a long night getting it roadworthy in time for Sunday’s race.
Later Saturday, Norris was given the green light to race on Sunday when he will start from the fifth row.
“Following precautionary checks after an accident during qualifying at the Belgian Grand Prix, Lando Norris has been cleared to compete in the 2021 Belgian Grand Prix by the trackside doctor and FIA medical delegate,” said a McLaren statement.
Norris, third in the drivers championship, had led qualifying through the first two sessions held as the rain beat down on the majestic but notoriously demanding Spa-Francorchamps circuit in the Ardennes Forest.
He was in a great position to claim his first ever pole and end up at the front of Sunday’s grid, instead he ended up in the medical center.
After the lengthy stoppage the session got back underway with 8.59 minutes of Q1 left on the clock, and a trick up Russell’s sleeve.
Max Verstappen masters rain to claim Belgian Grand Prix pole, George Russell in second
Max Verstappen masters rain to claim Belgian Grand Prix pole, George Russell in second
Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League
- Al-Ahli draw level with league leaders Al-Hilal on 53 points after trailing 1-0 down at half-time
- Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh play out seven-goal thriller in Dammam
DAMMAM: Matchday 23 kicked began with what ultimately became a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home. However, the hosts endured a tough first 45 minutes, falling 1-0 behind and missing a penalty before scoring four in the second half against the 10-man visitors.
Al-Najma — fresh off their first victory in Saudi Pro League history when they beat Al-Kholood last week — arrived in Jeddah with confidence. Despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing the hosts play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.
The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was Néstor El Maestro, returning to the Saudi Pro League for the first time in five years. After guiding the club to their first win in 21 matches, a result in Al-Ahli’s backyard would have provided the perfect reignite their survival bid.
El Maestro once said, “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block”, during his time at relegation-battling Göztepe in the Turkish Süper Lig in 2022. That philosophy defined Al-Najma’s bold approach against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.
Initially, the strategy paid off. Davd Tijanić beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lázaro, who finished past Édouard Mendy to hand the visitors a surprise lead.
Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equaliser. Ivan Toney was brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away penalty appeals. Moments later, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy VAR review and eventually a spot-kick for the hosts.
Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign and boasting a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, saw his penalty saved by Victor Braga. He pounced on the rebound, but Braga recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.
Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clashing into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but after a VAR review overturned the decision, Al-Najma went into the break still in front.
Al-Ahli knew a victory was essential on a pivotal weekend, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash that could influence the title race. Their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed in the equaliser.
Atangana was fouled ten minutes later, when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker, already booked, received his marching orders from the referee.
With a numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted control. Roger Ibañez picked out Mahrez with a measured long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into Toney’s path, and the English striker finished clinically in the 69th minute.
Toney added his second of the evening — and 22nd of the season — in the 87th minute, meeting Matheus Gonçalves’ cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.
The win moves Al-Ahli level on points with Al-Hilal on 53 points, awaiting their game later this week. Meanwhile, El Maestro’s task with Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves Al-Najma eight points adrift of safety.
Elsewhere, Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters in an Eastern Province derby. Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum putting them firmly in control.
North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals on either side of stoppage time in the first half. Madallah Al-Olayan restored Al-Ettifaq’s cushion in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale.
After seven goals in a back-and-forth thriller, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.
Saudi Pro League action resumes on Friday, with Al-Okhdood hosting Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun welcoming Al-Fayha and Al-Shabab travelling to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games kick off at 10:00pm in the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.










