Pakistan condemns reported restrictions by India on Eid prayers, animal sacrifice in Kashmir

Kashmiri Muslims offer prayers maintaining social distancing inside a mosque on Eid al-Adha in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, on July 21, 2021. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 22 July 2021
Follow

Pakistan condemns reported restrictions by India on Eid prayers, animal sacrifice in Kashmir

  • Urges international community, UN, rights organizations to take note of suppression of religious rights of Kashmiris
  • Reiterates support of Kashmiri people’s inalienable right to self-determination as enshrined in UN Security Council resolutions

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has condemned reported restrictions imposed by Indian authorities on Eid Al-Adha prayers and the sacrifice of animals in Indian-administered Kashmir, state-run APP news agency reported on Wednesday. 
The Foreign Office’s statement came amid reports Eid prayers were disrupted by the presence of a large number of troops and restrictions had been imposed at major mosques in the region.
“Imposition of restrictions on prayers and religious festivities on one of the most important days of Islamic calendar represents complete disrespect and deep-rooted prejudice by the Indian government for the sentiments of the Muslims,” the Foreign Office said. “It is also a flagrant violation of their fundamental freedom of religion.”
“Pakistan urges the international community, the United Nations, and other human rights and humanitarian organizations to take notice of brutal suppression of the religious rights and freedoms of the Kashmiri people in violation of international laws and conventions,” Pakistan said. “India must realize that by such measures, it cannot break the will of the Kashmiris and suppress their aspirations for freedom…Pakistan reiterates its support of Kashmiri people for their inalienable right to self-determination as enshrined in the relevant UN Security Council resolutions.”




Kashmiri Muslims leave a mosque on Eid al-Adha in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, on July 21, 2021. (AP)

New Delhi has struggled for decades to dampen secessionist sentiments in what had been its only Muslim majority state, blaming neighboring Pakistan for supporting insurgencies in the Himalayan region, which Islamabad denies.
Reasserting New Delhi’s control in August 2019, Modi abolished Article 370 of the Constitution, ending the region’s autonomy and removing its statehood by splitting it into the federal territories of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Buddhist-dominated Ladakh.


Pakistan destroyed seven TTP camps in Afghanistan strikes, 80 militants killed — official

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan destroyed seven TTP camps in Afghanistan strikes, 80 militants killed — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.