Radical preacher Choudary vows to spread views again in UK following lifting of ban

British preacher, Anjem Choudary, said he intends to continue preaching after a banning order imposed on him to prevent hate speech was lifted. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 July 2021
Follow

Radical preacher Choudary vows to spread views again in UK following lifting of ban

  • Extremist cleric was jailed 5 years ago and prevented from public speaking for supporting Daesh

LONDON: Anjem Choudary, the radical British preacher whose teachings have been linked to numerous extremists and terror attacks, said he intends to continue preaching after a banning order imposed on him to prevent hate speech was lifted on Monday.

Choudary, 54, who was profiled by Arab News for its “Preachers of Hate” series in 2019, was jailed in 2016 for supporting Daesh, banned from public speaking on his release, and had his access to the internet and mobile phones restricted. He was also subject to sanctions by the UN Security Council and the US State Department.

Read more on Anjem Choudary’s hate speech on his Preacher of Hate profile here.

Choudary, who was kept in Belmarsh high-security prison until his release in 2018, was once a member of the banned group Al-Muhajiroun (ALM), through which he preached on everything from Shariah law to foreign affairs. He also built up a sizeable following through his online lectures and social media.

 

Michael Adebolajo, who helped murder Fusilier Lee Rigby in 2013, and Khuram Butt, leader of the London Bridge terror attack, were also ALM members.

Usman Khan, the Fishmonger’s Hall attacker, is known to have followed Choudary’s teachings. 

Security services have not confirmed whether they will continue to monitor Choudary now that the terms of his release have been lifted.

 

A senior security source told the Daily Telegraph: “Disruptive measures — including jail terms and licence conditions — have had a substantial impact on the ability of ALM to propagate their toxic ideology.

“While the group cynically preys on vulnerable individuals, its spokespeople have hidden behind their cult-like status while encouraging others to commit acts of violence.

“The group breeds on propaganda, and should be starved of the oxygen of publicity it relies on to spread hatred.”

 

Read more Anjem Choudary’s hate speech on his Preacher of Hate profile here.


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.