US envoy hopes North Korea responds positively on offered talks

has threatened to bolster his nuclear deterrent and claimed that the fate of diplomacy and bilateral relations depended on Washington. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)
Short Url
Updated 21 June 2021
Follow

US envoy hopes North Korea responds positively on offered talks

  • United States’ diplomacy with North Korea stalled over its nuclear program and US-led sanctions

SEOUL: President Joe Biden’s special envoy for North Korea said Monday he hopes to see a positive reaction from the North soon on US offers for talks after the North Korean leader ordered officials to prepare for both dialogue and confrontation.
Sung Kim, Biden’s special representative for North Korea, is in Seoul to speak with South Korean and Japanese officials about the United States’ stalled diplomacy with the North over its nuclear program and US-led sanctions.
The trilateral talks followed a North Korean political conference last week where leader Kim Jong Un called for stronger efforts to improve his nation’s economy, further battered last year by pandemic border closures and now facing worsening food shortages.
The US envoy Sung Kim said the allies took note of the North Korean leader’s comments and are hoping the North will respond positively to the proposal of a meeting.
“We continue to hope that the DPRK will respond positively to our outreach and our offer to meet anywhere, anytime without preconditions,” Kim said during his meeting with South Korean and Japanese nuclear envoys, Noh Kyu-duk and Takehiro Funakoshi, respectively. He was referring to the North’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said the officials from the three countries reaffirmed a coordinated approach toward North Korea and shared commitment to work toward a quick resumption of dialogue.
North Korea’s economic setbacks followed the collapse of Kim Jong Un’s ambitious summitry with then-President Donald Trump in 2019, when the Americans rejected the North Koreans’ demands for major sanctions relief in exchange for a partial surrender of their nuclear capabilities.
Kim Jong Un in recent political speeches has threatened to bolster his nuclear deterrent and claimed that the fate of diplomacy and bilateral relations depends on whether Washington abandons what he calls hostile policies.
US officials have suggested Biden would take the middle ground between Trump’s direct dealings with Kim and President Barack Obama’s policy of “strategic patience.” But some experts say the North likely must take concrete steps toward denuclearization before the Biden administration would ease any sanctions.
South Korea, which is eager for inter-Korean engagement, has expressed optimism about a quick resumption of diplomacy.
Seoul’s Unification Ministry said Kim’s comments during a ruling party meeting last week, where he said he expected both dialogue and confrontation with the United States, demonstrated a flexibility toward diplomacy.
But others saw Kim’s comments as merely a reiteration of Pyongyang’s wait-and-see stance of insisting Washington budge and offer concessions first.
While Kim urged officials to boost agricultural production and brace for prolonged COVID-19 restrictions, none of the decisions reported after the party meeting seemed directly related to facilitating talks with the United States.
While displaying an openness to talks, the Biden administration has provided little detail about its policy on North Korea beyond a long-term principle of taking a “calibrated and practical approach” on diplomacy while simultaneously upholding sanctions against the country.
Thae Yong Ho, a former North Korean diplomat who defected and was elected a South Korean lawmaker, posted on Facebook that Kim’s comments at the party meeting seemed tailored to mirror what the Biden administration has said about the North.
“Advocates of engagement see Kim Jong Un’s recent mention of dialogue as a sign North Korea is opening the door for talks, but Pyongyang has not yet expressed a willingness for working-level negotiations on denuclearization,” said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor of international studies at Ewha Womans University in Seoul.
He said the North may return to negotiations only after demonstrating its strength with post-pandemic economic recovery and provocative military tests, which could possibly come later this summer when the United States and South Korea usually hold their combined military exercises. The allies describe the drills as defensive in nature, but the North claims they are invasion rehearsals.


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.