Israeli paper carries photos of Palestinian children killed in war

Many praised Haaretz for its journalistic integrity and its criticism of the Israeli state, while others disapproved of the story citing its insensitivity, especially considering the title. (Screenshot)
Short Url
Updated 27 May 2021
Follow

Israeli paper carries photos of Palestinian children killed in war

  • Haaretz wins praise for bold move to highlight innocent victims of recent Gaza bombardment

LONDON: The Israel’s daily Haaretz printed the pictures of the 67 children killed in the Israeli bombardment of Gaza on its front page on Thursday. The headline “The Price of War” was printed alongside the pictures.

The pictures were linked to a New York Times article that Haaretz ran that day with copy about Palestinian and Israeli children killed during the recent fighting.

The gesture from Haaretz to display the pictures of Palestinian children killed under Israeli violence conveys a strong sense of journalistic objectivity. While the newspaper is Israeli, it nevertheless chose to highlight the atrocities committed by the Israelis front and center.

The feature invoked contradictory emotions from people. Many praised Haaretz for its journalistic integrity and its criticism of the Israeli state, while others disapproved of the story citing its insensitivity, especially considering the title.

One reader said: “I’ve always been impressed by @haaretz but this is incredible even for them. It takes serious guts to post stuff like this. They really don’t get enough credit”.

Meanwhile, the publisher of Haaretz, Amos Schocken, reportedly apologized after criticism that the newspaper only displayed the pictures of Palestinian children and not Israeli children killed during the recent fighting in Gaza, when both had been mentioned in the article.

Schocken attributed the “serious mistake” to an unspecified editor “who explained that we had already reported on their cases extensively and in real time”.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 28 sec ago
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.