Hackers targeted SolarWinds earlier than previously known

SolarWinds president and CEO Sudhakar Ramakrishna says the hackers who carried out the intrusion of his software company were in its network as early as January 2019.(The Washington Post via AP/file)
Short Url
Updated 20 May 2021
Follow

Hackers targeted SolarWinds earlier than previously known

  • By seeding the company’s widely used software update with malicious code, hackers were able to penetrate the networks of multiple US government agencies and private sector corporations in an apparent act of cyberespionage

WASHINGTON: The hackers who carried out the massive SolarWinds intrusion were in the software company’s system as early as January 2019, months earlier than previously known, the company’s top official said Wednesday.
SolarWinds had previously traced the origins of the hack to the fall of 2019 but now believes that hackers were doing “very early recon activities” as far back as the prior January, according to Sudhakar Ramakrishna, the company’s president and CEO.
“The tradecraft that the attackers used was extremely well done and extremely sophisticated, where they did everything possible to hide in plain sight, so to speak,” Ramakrishna said during a discussion hosted by the RSA Conference.
The SolarWinds hack, which was first reported last December and which US officials have linked to the Russian government, is one in a series of major breaches that has prompted a major cybersecurity focus from the Biden administration. By seeding the company’s widely used software update with malicious code, hackers were able to penetrate the networks of multiple US government agencies and private sector corporations in an apparent act of cyberespionage. The US imposed sanctions against Russia last month.
Also Wednesday, Ramakrishna apologized for the way the company blamed an intern earlier this year during congressional testimony for poor password security protocols. That public statement, he said, was “not appropriate.”
“I have long held a belief system and an attitude that you never flog failure. You want your employees, including interns, to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes and together we become better,” he added. “Obviously you don’t want to make the same mistake over and over again. You want to improve.”


UK condemns 10-year sentence for British couple in Iran

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

UK condemns 10-year sentence for British couple in Iran

  • Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged ‌with espionage after ‌Iran accused ​them ‌of ⁠gathering ​information in ⁠several parts of the country
LONDON: ‌British foreign minister Yvette Cooper on Thursday condemned as “totally unjustifiable” the 10-year ​sentence given to two British nationals detained in Iran, saying the government would continue pressing for their release.
Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged ‌with espionage after ‌Iran accused ​them ‌of ⁠gathering ​information in ⁠several parts of the country.
“We will pursue this case relentlessly with the Iranian government until we see Craig and Lindsay Foreman ⁠safely returned to the UK ‌and ‌reunited with their ​family,” Cooper ‌said in a statement.
Joe Bennett, ‌Lindsay’s son, said in a separate statement the couple had appeared at a three-hour trial ‌on October 27 of last year in which they ⁠were ⁠not allowed to present a defense.
“We have seen no evidence to support the charge of espionage,” he said, adding that the family was deeply concerned about the couple’s welfare and the lack ​of ​transparency in the judicial process.