Lebanon schools to reopen in cooperation with the Red Cross

A worker cleans classroom desks in a school closed due to the coronavirus, Sidon, Lebanon, February 29, 2020. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 16 April 2021
Follow

Lebanon schools to reopen in cooperation with the Red Cross

  • Minister of Education Tarek Majzoub said the move to return to blended learning is related to the rate of vaccination among teachers
  • Schools in Lebanon have relied on online learning since the beginning of the year – a surge in COVID-19 cases in schools following the holidays brought about their closing

BEIRUT: The Lebanese Education Ministry has decided to reopen all schools for blended learning as of April 21, after closing for more than three months.

Minister of Education Tarek Majzoub said the move to return to blended learning is related to the rate of vaccination among teachers.

But the head of the Lebanese Doctors’ Syndicate Sharaf Abu Sharaf warned that since the vaccination process started in February, it has covered only “5 percent of the Lebanese, with 10,000 persons working in the health sector who have still not received the vaccine.”

Majzoub said: “The education in Lebanon is in danger, especially the good education that used to be equally provided for poor, middle, and rich classes

“The harsh economic conditions have affected everyone. Therefore, we must cooperate to save the academic year. We have nothing left in Lebanon but education, and our goal as a ministry is to save this academic year.”

The ministry has announced the schedule for the official exams, which will be taken in person. The Grade 12 Baccalaureate exams will take place on July 26, and the required curriculum will be reduced. The exams, according to the minister, will not be “formal,” but “the difficulty level will be studied.”

The government canceled the official exams last year, instead granting certificates to students in line with their grades in school and from online learning.

The Grade 9 Brevet exams will be replaced by school tests, which will be prepared and controlled by the ministry. The exams will take place on July 12.

Schools in Lebanon have relied on online learning since the beginning of the year. A surge in coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in schools following the holidays brought about their closing. Some private schools and universities violated closures by imposing attendance, while abiding by COVID-19 precautionary measures.

Abu Sharaf, who is also a pediatrician, said that “closing educational institutions has increased psychological problems among students, such as stress, introversion, social media addiction, obesity, and domestic violence. Western reports have even shown an increase in the suicide rate, in addition to a significant fall in the intellectual development of students, especially those under the age of 10.”

The decision to return students to schools excludes those with health issues, who can continue learning remotely. However, the return does not exclude students with special needs, those who have learning disabilities, or public schools’ students enrolled in the afternoon shift, such as Syrian refugees.

The return to schools has been taken during a crippling financial and economic crisis in Lebanon that has further deteriorated during the education shutdown.

A draft law proposed in July 2020 to allocate 500 million Lebanese pounds ($327 million) to support the education sector is still awaiting approval by parliament.

Majzoub said: “The country is going through a very delicate and exceptional situation, both on the health and economic levels. It is very easy for us to stop the whole education process and grant students pass certificates instead of going through the whole examination process, but this is not the ministry’s mission.”

He added: “A total of 17,000 vaccines have been secured for the teaching staff, to cover high school teachers in the first phase. The World Bank has supported us to become a priority in vaccinations, as well as UNICEF, the World Health Organization, and the Lebanese Red Cross. 

“However, the committee following up on the COVID-19 preventive measures said that not receiving the vaccine does not mean we cannot resume classes, in line with the preventive and precautionary measures.”

The ministry has introduced a new operation room to follow-up on news regarding blended education. It will work in cooperation with the Red Cross around the clock.

Majzoub’s decision has angered some parents and teachers, who accused him on social media of being “oblivious to the people’s situation and the impacts of his decision.”

Teachers expressed fears over “being unprotected” and expressed concern over “receiving AstraZeneca, the vaccine that has been allocated for them, due to reports about the possibility of the vaccine causing blood clots.”

Complaints against the minister’s decision were also made by some parents who said they are no longer capable of providing transport fees for their children to and from school, and others who said they cannot even give their children money to buy lunch at school.

Due to the worsening economic collapse, more than 50 percent of the Lebanese and 97 percent of Palestinian and Syrian refugees now live under the poverty line.

Jennifer Moorehead, director of Save the Children Lebanon, warned on April 1 that “the education for thousands of children in Lebanon is hanging by a thread.”

She added: “Many of them might never come back to school, either because they have missed so much learning already or because their families cannot afford to send them to school.”

According to the NGO: “Children not enrolled in schools are at a higher risk of falling victim to child labor, child marriage, and other forms of abuse and exploitation.”


UN Security Council urged to put pressure on UAE to stop arming Sudanese paramilitary

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

UN Security Council urged to put pressure on UAE to stop arming Sudanese paramilitary

  • Activist accuses Rapid Support Forces and its allies of widespread conflict-related sexual violence during war, calls for action against faction’s powerful international backers
  • Plea comes amid growing warnings of genocide in Sudan, ‘unchecked external interference’ that is allowing atrocities to continue, and the risk of further regional destabilization

NEW YORK CITY: The UN Security Council faced calls on Thursday to put pressure on the UAE to stop arming the Rapid Support Forces, one of the warring military factions in Sudan, amid warnings that atrocities bearing “the hallmarks of genocide” were spreading and the situation in the country risks causing further regional destabilization.

Sudanese activist Hala Alkarib said that “unchecked external interference” was allowing atrocities to continue. She cited the documentation by a UN panel of experts and international nongovernmental organizations of weapons and military equipment being shipped into Darfur, “including by the United Arab Emirates, in violation of this Council’s arms embargo.”

She told council members: “You can stop the violence by pressuring the RSF’s powerful backers with economic, political and criminal consequences.”

The council also heard warnings from Alkarib and senior UN officials that after more than 1,000 days of war, civilians face renewed risks of mass atrocities in Darfur and Kordofan.

Earlier on Thursday, the International Independent Fact-Finding Mission for Sudan issued a report that described atrocities committed by the RSF in and around El-Fasher in late October last year as “indicators of a genocidal path.”

Alkarib, regional director of the Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa, told the Security Council that she had lost family members and her home in the conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese Armed Forces, which began in April 2023.

“To be here a third time, only to report that the situation is even worse, is an indictment not just of the warring parties but of this council’s inability to stop the bloodshed,” she said.

“Over 1,000 days since the start of the war, despite repeated warnings, this council has failed to act. Every red line — siege, forced displacement, man-made famine, genocide, mass rape — has been crossed.”

She warned that the kinds of atrocities seen in El-Geneina and El-Fasher now risk being repeated in Greater Kordofan and Blue Nile, where drone attacks by all sides are killing civilians and destroying hospitals, schools and markets.

“Unless you act now, you will have more blood on your hands,” Alkarib said.

Her organization has documented more than 1,294 cases of conflict-related sexual violence against women and girls since the war began, she said, “perpetrated primarily by the RSF and their allies.”

She accused RSF forces in Darfur of deliberately targeting women and girls from the Fur, Masalit, Berti, Zaghawa and Tunjur communities on the basis of ethnicity.

“As the UN Fact-Finding Mission confirmed in a report today, this is part of a strategy of genocide aimed at eradicating native African communities,” Alkarib said.

Sexual violence, arbitrary detention and enforced disappearances in RSF-controlled areas remain severely underdocumented due to access restrictions, communications blackouts and retaliation, she added.

Thousands of women and children have been detained in villages including Garny, Tura and Tabit in North Darfur, she said, and hospitals and schools have been turned into detention centers. Forced marriages, including child marriages, to RSF soldiers are frequently linked to abductions and enforced disappearances.

Alkarib called for an immediate end to hostilities, the release of civilians held by the warring parties, “particularly women held by the RSF in conditions amounting to sexual slavery,” and the deployment of a mission with a clear mandate to protect civilians across Sudan in collaboration with the African Union.

She also urged the Security Council to expand the arms embargo to the whole of Sudan; impose targeted sanctions on violators; demand safe and sustained humanitarian access; condemn attacks on aid convoys, including a recent strike on a World Food Programme convoy in North Kordofan; support Sudanese women-led organizations; and back efforts to ensure accountability, including the work of the International Criminal Court.

“None of this will stop without immediate action from you, the international community,” Alkarib added.

The UN’s political affairs chief, Rosemary DiCarlo, said: “Sudan reached a horrific milestone: 1,000 days of a brutal war that has nearly destroyed the third-largest country in Africa. 1,000 days of total impunity for the perpetrators of a long list of atrocities and war crimes.”

She warned that “the risk of regionalization of the conflict is a matter of urgent concern,” citing in particular the movement of armed groups across the border between Sudan and South Sudan “in both directions,” and reports that weapons continue to transit through neighboring states.

“The horrific events in El-Fasher in October 2025 were preventable,” DiCarlo said. During the time the city was under siege, more than a year, the UN’s Human Rights Office “repeatedly sounded the alarm about the risk of mass atrocities. But the warnings were not heeded.”

The UN high commissioner for human rights, Volker Turk, had also alerted the international community to the possibility of similar crimes in Kordofan, where civilians are once again at risk of “summary executions, sexual violence, arbitrary detention and family separation,” she added.

“During the final offensive of the RSF on El-Fasher, reports indicate that sexual violence against women and girls was widespread,” DiCarlo said. “The time to act to prevent a repeat of atrocities elsewhere in the country is now.”

She welcomed progress in an initiative to secure a humanitarian truce, led by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and the US.

“These efforts offer a critical opportunity for immediate and much-needed deescalation and could pave the way for a sustainable cessation of hostilities,” she said. “We call on both parties to the conflict to engage with this initiative in good faith and without preconditions.”

But she stressed that unity among Sudan’s partners was essential.

“This entails ensuring that the flow of weapons to the warring parties is cut off,” DiCarlo said. “The war has gone on this long and been this deadly in large part because of the support the parties have received from abroad.”

Speaking on behalf of UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher, Edem Wosornu, the director of the crisis response division at the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said violence continues to spread “relentlessly.”

“Nearly three years have passed since this war began — humanitarian needs have deepened and countless civilian lives have been shattered,” she added.

Since the start of this year, she said, conditions in much of Kordofan and Darfur have deteriorated and drone attacks across the three states in Kordofan have escalated, resulting in civilian casualties and displacement. More than 1 million people are now displaced in the region.

In North Kordofan, fighting around the state capital, El-Obeid, was restricting the delivery of humanitarian and commercial supplies, Wosornu said. In South Kordofan, there has been intensified fighting and aerial attacks in and around Kadugli and Dilling, where an assessment by the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification indicates famine conditions may be prevalent.

Despite recent announcements that sieges had been broken and convoys could move between El-Obeid to Kadugli and Dilling, “humanitarian access along these key supply lines remains unpredictable,” Wosornu added.

In December, rates of acute malnutrition in Um Baru and Kernoi in North Darfur exceeded the threshold for famine, she said, and more than 1,000 newly displaced people recently arrived in Tawila, joining 600,000 who were already living there “in dire conditions.”

She continued: “For over 12 million women and girls, this is a crisis within a crisis. Violence against women and girls in Sudan has reached catastrophic levels. Sexual violence against women and girls has reached horrific levels. Documented cases have nearly tripled – yet this is but a fraction of the real scale.”

Wosornu also warned that 4.2 million children and pregnant and breastfeeding women face acute malnutrition.

She urged the council to work together “in pursuit of an immediate stop to the fighting, to stem the flow of weapons into Sudan, and to press for the lasting, inclusive peace that is so desperately needed.”

The UK is chairing the Security Council this month, with British Foreign Minister Yvette Cooper serving as president of the council for February.