Pakistan recognizes Saudi efforts to bring Khashoggi’s killers to justice — FO

Pakistani commuters drive their vehicles under a banner welcoming Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman displayed on a bridge, ahead of his arrival, in Islamabad, Pakistan on February 15, 2019. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 February 2021
Follow

Pakistan recognizes Saudi efforts to bring Khashoggi’s killers to justice — FO

  • Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi was murdered in October 2018 in Istanbul while doing paperwork related to his divorce
  • Pakistan says Saudi Arabia took all possible measures to convict and sentence people responsible for the gruesome crime

ISLAMABAD: The foreign office of Pakistan on Saturday expressed solidarity with Saudi Arabia after the release of a declassified United States intelligence report containing “assessment” of the Jamal Khashoggi murder case, saying that Islamabad recognized the kingdom’s efforts to bring his killers to justice.

A Saudi journalist, Khashoggi was murdered in October 2018 at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul where he had gone to complete paperwork related to his divorce. 

In an official statement issued in Islamabad, the foreign office noted that the Saudi authorities had described the killing as an “abhorrent crime” and a “flagrant violation of the Kingdom’s laws and values.” 

“The Saudi government has further underlined that it took all possible measures within its legal system to ensure that the individuals responsible were properly investigated, convicted and sentenced and that justice was served,” the statement continued. 

“Pakistan underscores adherence to the rule of law, respect for national sovereignty, and protection and promotion of human rights by all States, in accordance with their respective Constitutional frameworks and international obligations,” it added. 

Saudi Arabia has already rebuffed the contents of the report, saying that it “completely rejects the negative, false and unacceptable assessment in the report pertaining to the Kingdom’s leadership, and notes that the report contained inaccurate information and conclusions.” 

Its foreign affairs ministry noted that people responsible for the killing had been convicted and sentenced in Saudi courts and that “these sentences were welcomed by the family of Jamal Khashoggi.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”