‘Saudi surprise’ output cut fuels oil price surge past $60 a barrel

Christyan Malek: “I can see the oil price overshooting significantly all the way up to $100.” (Odessa American via AP)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2021
Follow

‘Saudi surprise’ output cut fuels oil price surge past $60 a barrel

  • MSCI’s 50-country index of world stocks hit its ninth record high of 2021 overnight as Tokyo’s Nikkei jumped on talk of Japan’s relaxing emergency restrictions
  • Saudi Arabia’s pledge of extra output cuts in February and March on the back of reductions by other OPEC members is helping to limit supply and support prices

DUBAI: The price of crude oil rose above $60 a barrel on Monday for the first time in over a year, fueled by the “Saudi surprise” cut in output.
Brent, the global benchmark, touched $60.20, up more than 15 percent since the start of the year. West Texas Intermediate, the US benchmark that briefly fell into negative territory last April, leapt above $57 a barrel, also a 12-month high.
Analysts raised their price targets for 2021, and gave most of the credit for the recent rise to Saudi Arabia’s decision in January to cut an extra 1 million barrels a day from global oil supply for two months.
Bassam Fattouh, director of the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, said: “Since the announcement of the cut, the oil price rallied despite the reintroduction of lockdowns in many parts of the world.”

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

The Saudi decision averted a confrontation between the majority of the 23-strong OPEC+ alliance, who wanted to postpone scheduled increases in supply in the face of continued market fragility, and Russia, which wanted to maximize output.
Some analysts believe oil is in for a further big jump this year, as economic recovery, especially in Asia, stimulates demand under tight supply conditions.
Christyan Malek, head of oil and gas research at US investment bank JP Morgan — who has predicted the surge in crude prices for some time — told Arab News: “I can see the oil price overshooting significantly all the way up to $100.”

********

READ MORE: 

How Saudi Arabia’s New Year ‘present’ got oil back above $60

Saudi Arabia cuts stopped oil plunging to $50 a barrel: report

*********

He said environmental and financial restrictions on US shale oil under the Biden administration could lead to a new “supercycle” in oil markets. “We’re already at $60 and we’ve hardly seen any planes back in the air,” he said.
Norbert Rucker, head of economics at Swiss bank Julius Baer, said: “We raise our near-term oil-price target to $65, and oil prices could spike above $70 by mid-year.”
When he announced the extra cut last month, Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman said he was acting as the “guardian of the oil industry” in support of the Saudi economy and the economies of OPEC+ countries.
All eyes will now be on the next meeting of OPEC+ early next month, when a key decision will have to be made about future supply. The Saudi cut will expire at the beginning of April, adding to global supply.


Saudi Public Investment Fund cuts US equity holdings to $12.9bn

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Saudi Public Investment Fund cuts US equity holdings to $12.9bn

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund reduced the value of its US-listed equity holdings to $12.9 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2025, down from $19.4 billion at the close of the third quarter, according to its latest filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

The documents shows the sovereign wealth fund held positions in five companies: Lucid Group, Electronic Arts, and Uber Technologies, as well as Allurion Technologies and Claritev Corp. The stake in Allurion was reported as a warrant position.

The portfolio reshuffle comes as the Kingdom accelerates efforts to diversify its economy beyond oil under Vision 2030, with PIF playing a central role in deploying capital both domestically and abroad.

Changes in its US equity holdings are closely watched by investors as a signal of the fund’s shifting sector priorities and global allocation strategy.

The information table attached to the filing lists these five holdings as the entirety of the fund’s US-reportable equity positions for the period ended Dec. 31.

The filing no longer includes a position in Take-Two Interactive, which had previously been among the fund’s largest US investments. 

A Schedule 13G/A disclosure filed in December outlined the reporting structure for the Take-Two stake, stating that PIF, as the sole owner of Savvy Games Group, and Savvy, as the sole owner of Saudi Fourth Investment Co., could be deemed to share voting and dispositive power over the shares held by Saudi Fourth.

Subsequent regulatory disclosures indicated that the Take-Two stake was transferred to Savvy, effectively removing it from PIF’s 13F-reported US holdings. 

The shift contributed to the quarter-on-quarter decline in the total reported market value of the fund’s US equity portfolio.

PIF has emerged as a dominant force among global sovereign wealth funds, not only in scale but also in investment activity.

According to a report by research firm Global SWF, the fund ranked as the most active sovereign wealth fund worldwide in 2025, deploying approximately $36.2 billion in new investments over the year, a significant surge compared with prior periods and surpassing all other state-owned investors tracked by the firm.