Oman extends border closure due to ‘alarming’ surge in COVID-19 cases

Oman, who previously saw cases drop below 500, has now recorded more than 600 cases on Sunday with a total of 135,674 cases. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 February 2021
Follow

Oman extends border closure due to ‘alarming’ surge in COVID-19 cases

RIYADH: Oman’s borders will be closed “until further notice” due to a surge in COVID-19 cases, local daily Times of Oman reported on Sunday. 

The Supreme Committee tasked with tackling the COVID-19 pandemic said the increase in cases was “alarming,” the report said. 

The announcement came after the committee studied a report produced by a technical team who specialised in the spread of the virus and its different variants. The report pointed to an increase in the number of patients contracting the disease.

Oman, who previously saw cases drop below 500, has now recorded more than 600 cases on Sunday with a total of 135,674 cases.

The closure initially came into effect on Jan. 18 following Oman’s detection of its first case of the variant of the virus that emerged in Britain, in a resident who arrived from the UK. The closure was set to last one week, but the authorities warned of possible extensions.

Oman’s University of Nizwa, in cooperation with the health ministry, detected a rare strain of the COVID-19 virus in early February.

The Committee, however, decided to allow entry via land borders for Omani citizens abroad wishing to return provided they follow a seven-day institutional health quarantine.

Oman’s Ministry of Health will also start inoculating citizens aged over 65 years after receiving a total of 100,000 doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from India’s Serum Institute last week.


Lebanon says one killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon says one killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

  • NNA said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp
  • It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded

SIDON, Lebanon: An Israeli strike on Lebanon’s largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The official National News Agency said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.
It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.
An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.
The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces “struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated.”
Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with the militant group Hezbollah.
Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah’s Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain Al-Helweh last November that killed 13 people.
The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.
In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.
On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country’s east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.