KARACHI: At least two people were killed and three others wounded in a bomb blast that targeted a rally organized to express solidarity with the people of Kashmir in the provincial capital of Balochistan on Friday, officials said.
“Two dead bodies and three injured people were brought to the hospital from the site of the blast,” Dr. Arbab Kamran, who works as the medical superintendent at the Sandeman Provincial Hospital in Quetta told Arab News.
He added that one of the wounded was in critical condition.
Police officials declined to share any details. However, Deputy Commissioner Aurangzeb Badini confirmed the number of dead and injured and said that the authorities were investigating the incident.
CCTV footage of the blast showed people running around after the explosion.
An official of the Bomb Disposal Squad told the media that a locally made “magnet bomb” was mounted on a truck that was part of the rally.
Balochistan’s home minister, Mir Ziaullah Langau, described the blast in an official statement as a “cowardly act” by “anti-state elements” who wanted to undermine public order.
“All resources will be used to take the terrorists [responsible for the act] to task,” the statement continued while promising “concrete steps” for the protection of citizens.
Earlier in the day, 16 people were injured in a grenade attack that targeted a rally organized to support the people of Kashmir in Sibi.
The participants of the Kashmir Day rallies pledged political support to those living in Indian-administered Kashmir and asked the international community to help resolve the protracted dispute in accordance with the United Nations resolutions.