Army chief says Pakistan, India must find ‘dignified’ solution to Kashmir dispute 

A handout picture released by ISPR shows Pakistan army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa during a ceremony at General Headquarters (GHQ) in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on November 29, 2016.
Short Url
Updated 03 February 2021
Follow

Army chief says Pakistan, India must find ‘dignified’ solution to Kashmir dispute 

  • “It is time to extend hand of peace in all directions,” Gen Bajwa says at graduation ceremony at Pakistan Air Force Academy 
  • Warns that Pakistan would not allow “anybody or any entity to misinterpret its desire for peace as a sign of weakness”

Islamabad: Pakistani Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa said on Tuesday Pakistan and India should resolve their conflict over the disputed Kashmir region in a “dignified and peaceful manner.”
India and Pakistan have fought two of their three wars over Kashmir, and the disputed Himalayan region has again been the focus of a flare-up between the two nuclear powers in the last year. Both countries claim Kashmir in full but rule it in part.
In a rare overture of peace toward arch-rival India, the army chief said: “It is time to extend hand of peace in all directions.”
He was addressing a graduation ceremony at the Pakistan Air Force Academy in Risalpur in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Tuesday.
“Pakistan and India must also resolve the longstanding issue of Jammu and Kashmir in a dignified and peaceful manner as per the aspirations of people of Jammu and Kashmir and bring this human tragedy to its logical conclusion,” the general said.
However, he warned that Pakistan would not allow “anybody or any entity to misinterpret its desire for peace as a sign of weakness.”
“Armed Forces of Pakistan are fully capable and prepared to thwart any threat,” Bajwa said.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”