Government appeals acquittal of men convicted in Daniel Pearl murder - Pakistani media

In this file taken on March 29, 2002, police escort British-born Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh out of a court in Karachi. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 January 2021
Follow

Government appeals acquittal of men convicted in Daniel Pearl murder - Pakistani media

  • Government, through prosecutor general of Sindh province, has petitioned the Supreme Court to review its decision to free ‘mastermind’ Ahmad Saeed Omar Sheikh
  • On Thursday, all four men originally arrested and charged with Pearl’s abduction and murder were ordered free by the top court

ISLAMABAD: The government, through the prosecutor general of Pakistan’s Sindh province, has petitioned the Supreme Court to review its decision to free Ahmad Saeed Omar Sheikh, the British-born Pakistani convicted for the 2002 kidnapping and beheading of American journalist Daniel Pearl, Pakistan’s Geo News reported
On Thursday, all four men originally arrested and charged with Pearl’s abduction and murder were ordered free by the Pakistani Supreme Court. The court also dismissed separate appeals against Sheikh’s acquittal filed by Pearl’s family and the provincial government of Pakistan’s Sindh province.
“Being aggrieved of and dissatisfied with the judgment of the Full Bench of his honorable court … this petitioner files the Instant Criminal Review Petition for Leave to Appeal on questions of law, facts and grounds,” the petition, from the state through the Sindh prosecutor general, said, published by Geo News.
Sheikh was sentenced to death and three other suspects to life in prison in 2002 for their roles in the plot to kill Pearl. Last April, however, a lower court acquitted them in a shocking turn in the 18-year-old case.
The acquittal was appealed separately in the Supreme Court by Pearl’s family and the Sindh government. Both appeals were rejected on Thursday by a three-judge bench, headed by Justice Mushir Alam, that also ordered Sheikh be released.
He is currently still detained and it was not immediately clear when he would be released.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”