Indonesia locates black box from crashed plane

1 / 4
Indonesian rescue members on Sunday carry what is believed to be the remains of the Sriwijaya Air plane flight SJ 182 which crashed into the sea on Jan. 9, 2021. (REUTERS/Ajeng Dinar Ulfiana)
2 / 4
Investigators at the search and rescue command center in Tanjung Priok Port, Jakarta on Sunday inspect debris found in the waters around the location where a Sriwijaya Air passenger jet has lost contact with air traffic controllers shortly after the takeoff on Jan. 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Achmad Ibrahim)
3 / 4
Members of a search and rescue team conduct operations near Lancang island on January 10, 2021, where a Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737-500 is suspected to have crashed shortly after the jet took off from Jakarta airport on January 9. (AFP / ADEK BERRY)
4 / 4
Indonesian Navy divers take part in the search for the crashed Sriwijaya Air passenger jet in the waters off Java island on Jan. 10, 2021. (AP Photo)
Short Url
Updated 11 January 2021

Indonesia locates black box from crashed plane

  • Sriwijaya Air Flight 182 disappeared shortly after takeoff on Jan. 9, 2021
  • 62 people were on board the plane, which was bound for Pontianak in West Kalimantan

JAKARTA: Indonesian authorities on Sunday located the “black box” flight data and cockpit voice recorders of the Sriwijaya Air jet that crashed into the sea soon after taking off from Jakarta.

The Boeing 737-500 with 62 passengers and crew was on a domestic flight to Pontianak in West Kalimantan on Saturday when it disappeared from radar screens four minutes after takeoff.

Underwater footage recorded by Indonesian Navy divers showed the Boeing 737-500 fuselage about 23 meters deep on the sea floor between Laki Island and Lancang Island, north of Jakarta. There were thought to be no survivors.

Military chief Air Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto said the black box signals had been identified about 200 meters from the crash site. “Hopefully, we can retrieve them soon,” he said.

Investigators also recovered human remains and debris from the plane’s wreckage. At least six body bags were taken to Jakarta police hospital for identification. Police asked families to provide information such as dental records and DNA samples to help identify bodies.

Pieces of wreckage were brought to Jakarta port by rescuers, including the plane’s altimeter radar, emergency chute and a piece thought to have come from the bottom part of the plane’s tail. One twisted piece of metal was painted in Sriwijaya Air’s blue and red colors.

Distraught relatives waited in Pontianak about 740 km  from Jakarta for news of their loved ones. At Jakarta’s main airport, a crisis center was set up for families.

“We feel powerless, we can only wait and hope to get any information soon,” said Irfansyah Riyanto, who had five relatives on the flight.

Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi told reporters that authorities have launched massive search efforts after identifying “the possible location of the crash site.”

“These pieces were found by the SAR team between Lancang Island and Laki Island,” National Search and Rescue Agency Bagus Puruhito in a statement.

More than 12 hours since the Boeing plane operated by the Indonesian airline lost contact, little is known about what caused the crash.
Fishermen in the area around Thousand Islands, a chain of islands north of Jakarta’s coast, reported hearing an explosion around 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
“We heard something explode, we thought it was a bomb or a tsunami since after that we saw the big splash from the water,” fisherman Solihin, who goes by one name, told The Associated Press by phone.
“It was raining heavily and the weather was so bad. So it is difficult to see around clearly. But we can see the splash and a big wave after the sounds. We were very shocked and directly saw the plane debris and the fuel around our boat.”
Sumadi said Flight SJ182 was delayed for an hour before it took off at 2:36 p.m. It disappeared from radar four minutes later, after the pilot contacted air traffic control to ascend to an altitude of 29,000 feet (8,839 meters), he said.
There were 62 people on board, including seven children and three babies.
“We are aware of media reports from Jakarta regarding Sriwijaya Air flight SJ-182,” Boeing said in a statement. “Our thoughts are with the crew, passengers, and their families. We are in contact with our airline customer and stand ready to support them during this difficult time.”
Authorities established two crisis centers, one at airport and one at port. Families gathered to wait for news of loved ones.
On social media, people began circulating the flight manifesto with photos and videos of those who were listed as passengers. One video shows a woman with her children waving goodbye while walking through the airport.
Sriwijaya Air President Director Jefferson Irwin Jauwena said the plane, which is 26 years old and previously used by airlines in the United States, was airworthy. He told reporters Saturday that the plane had previously flown to Pontianak and Pangkal Pinang city on the same day.

“Maintenance report said everything went well and airworthy,” Jauwena told a news conference. He said the plane was delayed due to bad weather, not because of any damage.
Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago nation, with more than 260 million people, has been plagued by transportation accidents on land, sea and air because of overcrowding on ferries, aging infrastructure and poorly enforced safety standards.
In October 2018, a Boeing 737 MAX 8 jet operated by Lion Air plunged into the Java Sea just minutes after taking off from Jakarta, killing all 189 people on board. The plane involved in Saturday’s incident did not have the automated flight-control system that played a role in the Lion Air crash and another crash of a 737 MAX 8 jet in Ethiopia five months later, leading to the grounding of the MAX 8 for 20 months.
The Lion Air crash was Indonesia’s worst airline disaster since 1997, when 234 people were killed on a Garuda airlines flight near Medan on Sumatra island. In December 2014, an AirAsia flight from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore plunged into the sea, killing 162 people.
Sriwijaya Air has only has several minor incidents in the past, though a farmer was killed in 2008 when landing plane went off runway due to a hydraulic issue.
The United States banned Indonesian carriers from operating in the country in 2007, but reversed the decision in 2016, citing improvements in compliance with international aviation standards. The European Union has previously had similar bans, lifting them in June 2018.

(With agencies)


Turkey and Greece resume talks on maritime disputes after five years

Updated 8 min 42 sec ago

Turkey and Greece resume talks on maritime disputes after five years

ANKARA: Turkey and Greece resumed talks aimed at addressing long-standing maritime disputes on Monday, diplomatic sources said, after months of tension in the eastern Mediterranean.
The neighboring countries, which are both members of the NATO military alliance, made little progress in 60 rounds of talks from 2002 to 2016.
Plans for resuming discussions foundered last year over Turkey’s deployment of a survey vessel in contested Mediterranean waters and disagreements over which topics to cover.
Ankara and Athens agreed this month to resume talks in Istanbul, in a test of Turkey’s hopes of improving its relations with the European Union, which has supported EU-member Greece and threatened sanctions on Turkey.
Both sides have voiced guarded optimism before the talks, though Ankara and Athens were still trading barbs in the days leading up to Monday’s meetings in Istanbul.
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said last week Greece would approach the talks with optimism but “zero naivety.” Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he hoped the resumption of talks would herald a new era.
Despite the agreement to resume talks, Athens said on Saturday it would discuss only the demarcation of exclusive economic zones and the continental shelf in the eastern Mediterranean, and not issues of “national sovereignty.”
Ankara has said it wants the talks to cover the same topics as in the first 60 rounds, including the demilitarization of islands in the Aegean and disagreements over air space.
It was not immediately clear what the agenda of the talks was on Monday.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu held a series of talks in Brussels last week to discuss possible future steps to maintain what he called the “positive atmosphere” between Ankara and the EU since the bloc postponed imposing sanctions on Turkey until March at a December summit.