Arab coalition says Riyadh agreement continuing in Yemen

Saudi military personnel are pictured at the gate of the Arab coalition’s base in Aden, Yemen Dec. 13, 2020. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 13 December 2020
Follow

Arab coalition says Riyadh agreement continuing in Yemen

  • Military aspect of Riyadh Agreement will continue for a fourth day
  • UN calls on Yemeni parties to commit to Hodeidah agreement

RIYADH: Government troops and separatist forces continued to redeploy their troops in southern Yemen on Sunday under a Saudi brokered-agreement. 

The Riyadh Agreement was agreed last year to ease tensions in southern Yemen between troops loyal to the internationally recognised government and the Southern Transitional Council. The two sides are part of a coalition fighting the Iran-backed Houthis.

Last week, the coalition said lake parts of the deal would tart to be implemented, including redeploying forces and announcing a new government.

On Sunday, the coalition gave an update on progress on the military aspect of the agreement. 

The process of separating the forces in Abyan and their exit from Aden was proceeding with “discipline and commitment” for a fourth day.

The coalition also said it “appreciates the commitment of the legitimate Yemeni government and the Southern Transitional Council (STC) in implementing the military aspect.”

The two sides started withdrawing their forces on Friday from a flashpoint in the southern province of Abyan, military officers from both sides said.

On Friday, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen, Mohammed Al-Jaber, said the Riyadh Agreement would “fulfill peace, security and stability,” and the Yemeni people would “reap the fruits” of the agreement.

Meanwhile, the head of the UN’s mission to support a plan to halt fighting with the Iran-backed Houthis in the main battleground port of Hodeidah called for both sides to renew their commitment to the deal.

Chair of the Redeployment Coordination Committee Lt. Gen. (Ret) Abhijit Guha said: “There has been important progress but challenges persist, including periodic violence that undermines the spirit of the Hodeidah agreement.”

He was speaking two years after the government and the Houthi militia signed the Stockholm Agreement.


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.