Pakistan says plans to launch 5G services by December 2022 

In this file photo, Pakistani pedestrians wait for transport as they stand in front of an advertisement for a cellular telephone in Rawalpindi on May 14, 2010. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 March 2021
Follow

Pakistan says plans to launch 5G services by December 2022 

  • Announcement by IT minister comes just weeks after Pakistan’s first 5G trial call to Beijing on November 4
  • Pakistan auctioned 3G and 4G network licenses in 2014, raising $1.1 billion to boost foreign reserves

KARACHI: Pakistan will roll out 5G mobile phone services in the country by December 2022, Minister for Information Technology and Telecommunications Syed Amin Ul Haque said on Sunday just weeks after he made Islamabad’s first trial 5G call to Beijing at an event on November 4.
Pakistan has 169 million mobile phone users and some 85 million 3G/4G subscribers currently. Its telecom market is dominated by Jazz, backed by Netherlands-based Veon Ltd; Telenor Pakistan, backed by Norway’s state-controlled Telenor; Zong, owned by China Mobile; and Ufone, which is controlled by state-owned Pakistan Telecommunication Company Ltd.
“December 2022 is the ideal date [to launch 5G services] as it would take one to two years to improve infrastructure and increase optic fiber penetration across the country,” Haque said, explaining that since 5G services worked on a network of fiber optic cables, the government had to first lay down this “basic requirement.”
Other emerging market countries like Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, India and Sri Lanka are also planning to launch 5G services in the next two years.
According to a June 2020 report by the GSM Association (GSMA), an industrial body representing mobile network operators across the world, 5G services are forecast to grow from zero connections in 2018 to 2.8 billion connections by 2025.
Around $67 billion will be spent on mobile networks in South Asia between 2019 and 2025, with $3.5 billion in Pakistan alone, according to the GSMA report.
The GSMA also estimates that by 2023, the economic contribution of the mobile industry in Pakistan will reach $24 billion, or 6.6 percent of GDP.
“5G is close to being deployed on a large scale globally, and its commercialization is steadily advancing,” Wang Hua, Chairman & CEO of Zong, said in a statement after the trial call between Islamabad and Beijing earlier this month. “Our 5G test call takes Pakistan one step closer to the 5G era where possibilities are endless for the users.”
Mobile phone operators also said 5G services would “revolutionize” life in Pakistan.
“4G changes life and 5G changes society,” Maheen Akhtar, Head of Public Relations at Zong, told Arab News. “It will stimulate social-economic growth, promote smart connectivity and cloud-network synergy, and support the networked, digital, and intelligent transformation of traditional industries. It will also create new opportunities for social development and promote the open sharing and overall utilization of resources, rational allocation and efficient collaboration.”
Though Pakistan’s telecoms sector has grown rapidly over the past decade, the market is hyper-competitive and news of plans for 5G comes as mobile operators also fear a tougher period ahead amid a slumping economy and rising inflation that is expected to lead to belt tightening by the country’s 220 million people.
Pakistan’s tax payments and fees for mobile consumers and operators are currently among the highest in Asia. Consumers have to pay around six kinds of levies while operators pay 11, including a 30 percent Corporate Income Tax. A tax directory issued by the Federal Board of Revenue for tax year 2017 listed Telenor and Jazz among the country’s top corporate taxpayers.
But Minister Haque said taxes would be cut “through policy measures” in the next few weeks.
“Definitely, I think the taxes should be minimum,” he said, adding that a policy in this regard was with the Economic Coordination Committee and would next go to cabinet for discussion.
“You will see in the next few weeks,” he said, “a clear taxation policy will come out through in which the taxes are being reduced.”


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.