AC Milan's perfect start ends with 3-3 draw with Roma

AC Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic celebrates scoring his first goal against AS Roma during their match in Milan, Italy on Oct. 26, 2020. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 27 October 2020

AC Milan's perfect start ends with 3-3 draw with Roma

  • Roma is ninth, five points behind Milan

MILAN: AC Milan’s perfect start to the Serie A season ended with a 3-3 draw against Roma on Monday but the Rossoneri still moved two points clear of Napoli and Sassuolo.
Roma defender Marash Kumbulla equalized six minutes from time following an unintended assist from Zlatan Ibrahimović, who was trying to clear a corner and instead redirected the ball toward the far post where Kumbulla rushed forward to pound it in.
Roma is ninth, five points behind Milan.
Edin Džeko and Jordan Veretout, with a penalty, also scored for Roma.
Ibrahimović scored twice for Milan, which also got a goal from Alexis Saelemaekers with Rafael Leão setting up two of the Rossoneri’s scores.
Ibrahimović needed only one touch to find the net following Leão’s pass over the top less than two minutes in at the San Siro.
Milan was without goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma and winger Jens Petter Hauge after both players tested positive for the coronavirus and Donnarumma was missed when Džeko made it 1-1.
Reserve keeper Ciprian Tătărușanu failed to bat away a corner, allowing the ball to reach Džeko, who leaped over Alessio Romagnoli for a header by the far post.
Saelemaekers scored Milan’s second after the break following strong work down the left flank and an expert cross from Leão.
Veretout equalized for Roma with a penalty in the 71st following a debatable foul from Ismaël Bennacer.
Ibrahimović then thought he had sealed victory with a penalty in the 79th following an equally dubious foul by Gianluca Mancini. But the Swedish superstar was to blame for the final goal from Kumbulla, who also scored the winner in Roma’s 2-1 comeback win at Young Boys in the Europa League last week.
It was the first match since a new decree came into effect banning fans at stadiums due to a second wave of coronavirus infections.


Maradona's doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

Updated 9 min 2 sec ago

Maradona's doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

  • Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence
  • The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters over the treatment he received

BUENOS AIRES: Diego Maradona's personal doctor was on Sunday being investigated for involuntary manslaughter four days after the Argentina legend suffered a fatal heart attack, prosecutors in San Isidro near Buenos Aires reported.
Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence, according to television images.
The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters Dalma, Giannina and Jana over the treatment he received for his heart condition at his home in Tigre, north of Buenos Aires, judicial sources said.
"Our investigations are ongoing, we are talking to witnesses including members of the family" of Maradona, a source close to the San Isidro inquiry said.
Luque, who declined to comment when contacted by AFP, had posted a photograph of himself with Maradona on the day the 60-year-old left hospital on November 12, eight days after surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain.
Maradona returned home to Tigre where he received round the clock medical care. He died of a heart attack on Wednesday, and was buried on Thursday at the Jardin de Paz cemetery on the outskirts of the Argentine capital.