UAE reports 1,064 coronavirus infections, one death

Tourists take photos with camels on the beach at Jumeirah Beach Residence in Dubai, UAE. (File/AP)
Short Url
Updated 13 October 2020
Follow

UAE reports 1,064 coronavirus infections, one death

  • Dubai Economy closed 1 business and issued 8 fines, 1 warning to others
  • Kuwait records 777 cases and 6 deaths, Oman reports 685 cases and 8 deaths

DUBAI: The UAE on Monday recorded 1,064 new COVID-19 cases and one death.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention said the total number of cases since the pandemic began has reached 107,293, while the death toll rose to 446.
The ministry also said 1,271 cases recovered from COVID-19 over the previous 24 hours, bringing the total to 98,555.
Dubai Economy closed a real estate office and issued fines to eight businesses and a warning to one shop for not adhering to anti-COVID-19 measures.
During daily inspection rounds, teams from Dubai Economy, in cooperation with Dubai Sports Council, fined five sports establishments over the weekend for failing to adhere to COVID-19 precautionary measures, while six others received warnings.
Dubai Health Authority announced that COVID-19 tests required for traveling could now be booked at some malls.
The UAE, with a population of around 9.9 million people, has conducted 10.8 million tests so far.
Meanwhile, Khalifa University of Science and Technology said a research team had developed an anti-viral eco-friendly face mask.

The scientists claim the “navamask” eliminates more than 99 percent of bacteria.
Elsewhere, Kuwait recorded 777 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total to 111,893. The death toll reached 664 after six new fatalities were registered.

Oman’s health ministry confirmed 685 new cases and eight deaths, bringing the total to 106,575 and the death toll stands at 1,046.


In Bahrain, five deaths were reported, bringing the death toll to 280, while 334 new infected cases were confirmed.

 

 


Palestinian child killed in explosion of Israeli ordnance near Jericho

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Palestinian child killed in explosion of Israeli ordnance near Jericho

  • Unexploded ordnance from Israeli forces detonated in Farush Beit Dajan area
  • Forces prevented residents from approaching the site afterward

LONDON: A Palestinian child was killed and two others were injured on Tuesday in the north of Jericho, due to an explosion involving remnants of Israeli military munitions.

Ahmad Ghawnameh, mayor of Al-Jiftlik village in the central Jordan Valley, reported that unexploded ordnance from Israeli forces detonated in the Farush Beit Dajan area, resulting in the death of one child and leaving others with serious injuries.

Ghawnameh did not specify the type of ordnance that exploded. He added that Israeli forces prevented residents from approaching the site, according to the Wafa news agency. The Palestinian Health Ministry did not confirm the name or age of the child at the time of publication.